Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Problem w/ Wheel Balance Weights

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 06:48 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem w/ Wheel Balance Weights

What are other people using as weights on their chrome wheels. Today is the 3rd time that I've taken my car back to the shop because the wheels have gotten out-of -balance. The weights are eventually coming off of the rims. They are using some stick on weights as opposed to the tap-on kind. Is everyone else using the tap-on weights? Any suggestions for me?
Old 08-08-08, 09:35 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All our cars including the ones with chrome wheels have weights that are stuck on the inside of the wheel and haven't had any problems. I don't think we ever had any issues with them, but we very faithfully get them balanced every 5000 miles. Also, stuck on weights are pretty much the standard for alloy wheels, high end cars, and low profle tires.

Did the shop use alcohol or other cleaning solvent to clean the spot and remove residue from previous weights?
Old 08-08-08, 10:11 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

They said that they cleaned the wheels prior to putting the weights on last week. We'll see when I pick the car up this afternoon.
Old 08-08-08, 01:50 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had this problem on my Mustang's wheels before too. They weren't chrome but I don't think the shop cleaned the inner barrel properly before adhering the weights. I saw that 2 of the weights were gone and just the adhesive was left.
Old 08-11-08, 05:36 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

Well, I picked up my car and as I drove away one of the weights flew off the car, so I turned around and took the car back to them. When I go back later the guy tells me that he put some additional adhesive to make them stay on. Well they stayed on so far, but the wheel shimmes at 60mph. I don't know what to do now, I may have to take it to the dealer in order to get it right.
Old 08-11-08, 07:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladyt
Well, I picked up my car and as I drove away one of the weights flew off the car, so I turned around and took the car back to them. When I go back later the guy tells me that he put some additional adhesive to make them stay on. Well they stayed on so far, but the wheel shimmes at 60mph. I don't know what to do now, I may have to take it to the dealer in order to get it right.
What kind of shop are you taking it to?

I have been doing wheels and tires for years and have NEVER had tape weights come off the wheel...

Tape weights are harder to get to stick when its cold out and when the wheel isn't cleaned properly... we use an alcohol like solution to clean a wheel, and the tape weights we use are backed with 3M adhesive... they DO NOT come off...

Here's my real question - are you sure they are coming off, and its not just residue from where they peeled the old ones off? The shake can be caused by improper spacing of the weights, not knowing how to use a balance machine properly, or other tire/wheel related problems as well...

Prior to this, what is the history of the wheels/tires? How old are the tires? Why did you have them rebalanced to start?
Old 08-11-08, 09:54 AM
Ladyt
Rookie

Mitsuguy,
The shop is well known in the area and specializes in foreign car repairs. I'm actually beginning to think that I have the incorrect spacer(s) because I've gotten to this point once before where the wheels were supposed to be balance yet there is a shimmy at 60mph. The issue began when I purchased the rims and new Falken tires after my winter tire changeover. Prior to these wheels there was not a problem when the car had the OEM rims.

The 30oz weight actual came off and I picked it up out of the street. Regardless, I've tried to them rotated, rebalanced and the shimmy corrected without 100% success. I'm going to have the spaces looked at.
Old 08-11-08, 12:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladyt
Mitsuguy,
The shop is well known in the area and specializes in foreign car repairs. I'm actually beginning to think that I have the incorrect spacer(s) because I've gotten to this point once before where the wheels were supposed to be balance yet there is a shimmy at 60mph. The issue began when I purchased the rims and new Falken tires after my winter tire changeover. Prior to these wheels there was not a problem when the car had the OEM rims.

The 30oz weight actual came off and I picked it up out of the street. Regardless, I've tried to them rotated, rebalanced and the shimmy corrected without 100% success. I'm going to have the spaces looked at.
spacers, especially non-hubcentric spacers are almost always a dead giveaway, as is running aftermarket wheels without hubcentric rings...

might be worthwhile to take it to a shop that specializes in tire and wheel installation and tell them the problem you are having - they are going to be more experienced in resolving tire/wheel issues than a repair shop will
Old 08-11-08, 12:52 PM
Ladyt
Rookie

Thanks. I'll do that.