Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Brake advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 01:32 AM
rjheard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake advice

Looking for opinions on brake components. OEM, Autozone brands, Advance Auto parts brands, etc... It's time to replace my warped rotors on my 98 GS400 and no matter what I put on it will pale in comparison to the IS-F I drove at the Taste of Lexus in Atlanta.
Old 07-15-08, 06:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

get some brembo blanks online, and pretty much any name brand pad, so long as it's the correct type (semi-metallic, or ceramic - not sure which on that car)
Old 07-24-08, 06:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rjheard
Looking for opinions on brake components. OEM, Autozone brands, Advance Auto parts brands, etc... It's time to replace my warped rotors on my 98 GS400 and no matter what I put on it will pale in comparison to the IS-F I drove at the Taste of Lexus in Atlanta.
When did u go, I Was there.
First thing is get better tires. It doesn't matter what kind of brakes u have if u have crap tires.
Next change pads, that is the biggest difference for a stock brake.
Then you can go for better brake fluid (ATP racing for example) and stainless lines for better feel.
For a better look, drilled/slotted combined with the above will net you a good difference.
Old 07-24-08, 07:44 AM
rjheard
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
When did u go, I Was there.
First thing is get better tires. It doesn't matter what kind of brakes u have if u have crap tires.
Next change pads, that is the biggest difference for a stock brake.
Then you can go for better brake fluid (ATP racing for example) and stainless lines for better feel.
For a better look, drilled/slotted combined with the above will net you a good difference.
I was there for the Friday afternoon session. Great fun but a slightly depressing ride home. I ordered Brembo discs and Wagner ceramic thermoquiet pads which should be here today. I'm just looking for decent performance and no warping really. I haven't put anything on yet. What pads do you recommend keeping in mind my car is stock?
Old 07-24-08, 08:36 PM
LexFather

I was there for the Friday afternoon session. Great fun but a slightly depressing ride home. I ordered Brembo discs and Wagner ceramic thermoquiet pads which should be here today. I'm just looking for decent performance and no warping really. I haven't put anything on yet. What pads do you recommend keeping in mind my car is stock?
I was group 4 in the afternoon session, a few of us were there together.

I've never heard of those pads before. Hawk is good but slightly more aggresive. Many here use EBC greenstuff as well.
Old 07-24-08, 09:40 PM
rjheard
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I was group 4 in the afternoon session, a few of us were there together.

I've never heard of those pads before. Hawk is good but slightly more aggresive. Many here use EBC greenstuff as well.
I was in group 2. Not a super performance... I think I barely got into the high 27's on the timed trial. The hot lap was worth the drive alone. These are the best pads the Oreilly stocks hopefully they'll work better than the Carcraft I took off. On a side note... I decided while I had the car on stands to refinish my stock wheels with Duplicolor wheel paint. I noticed on the can it states something like "spray between sixty and eighty degrees when the humidity is below 60%" That's about a two day window in Alabama. Really I think the shuttle re-entry window is larger.
Old 07-26-08, 02:50 PM
LexFather

I was in group 2. Not a super performance... I think I barely got into the high 27's on the timed trial. The hot lap was worth the drive alone. These are the best pads the Oreilly stocks hopefully they'll work better than the Carcraft I took off. On a side note... I decided while I had the car on stands to refinish my stock wheels with Duplicolor wheel paint. I noticed on the can it states something like "spray between sixty and eighty degrees when the humidity is below 60%" That's about a two day window in Alabama. Really I think the shuttle re-entry window is larger.
lol! Most pads have a lifetime warrenty so if u don't like, you can return them for pro-rated money.