Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

How to remove chrome from stock wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 09:03 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove chrome from stock wheels?

Recently I've been wanting to drive my SC more and more.

Right now she sits tucked away in my garage on the battery tender. The rear tires are bald, so I need to pick up some new snow tires for it but I'm sick of the stock chrome rims leaking air. Were talking about having to fill up the some of the tires every other day. All 4 of the wheels leak to some degree, but 2 of them are really bad. The stock chrome is staring to peel on 1, and I when I wash the car I can watch air bubble out right from the bead where the tire seals all the way around on all 4 wheels (and also at the valve stems).

I want to redo my stock wheels, probably powder coat them up black or something, but I don't know how to get rid of the stock chrome.
Old 02-01-08, 09:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i wonder if a paint stripper would work
Old 02-01-08, 09:45 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sandblaster
Old 02-01-08, 09:48 AM
RedSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

throw acid on them or brake fluid, u can get brake fluid anywhere, u can get acid from car detail shops. if theres air escaping then ur better off buying new rims, your rims might have been driven with a flat causing it to lose its shape thats why the tires dont sit properly. Have u had the rims checked out at a tire shop???
Old 02-01-08, 10:09 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy new wheels....................
Old 02-01-08, 10:15 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Air leaks around the tire beads are common for all chrome wheels. Just have a tire shop dismount the tires, go at the edge where the tire beads sit with a wire brush to scrub off all the flaking chrome. Then they have this thick rubbery goop that they can coat the scrubbed area with. Then they just remount the tires and voila, problem solved. I used to work at a tire shop and it was pretty much a standard task for any chrome wheel, oem or not as they all tend to start flaking and peeling after a couple tire changes.
Old 02-01-08, 04:55 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Air leaks around the tire beads are common for all chrome wheels. Just have a tire shop dismount the tires, go at the edge where the tire beads sit with a wire brush to scrub off all the flaking chrome. Then they have this thick rubbery goop that they can coat the scrubbed area with. Then they just remount the tires and voila, problem solved. I used to work at a tire shop and it was pretty much a standard task for any chrome wheel, oem or not as they all tend to start flaking and peeling after a couple tire changes.
This was already done when the tires were mounted. I watched the two techs wirebrush the crap out of them, then put on the goop.

I'm planning on buying new wheels when summer hits for my summer tires, but I don't want to buy a new set of wheels for the winter tires, then turn around and have to buy another set when summer gets here.