Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Feedback needed from Toyo & Nitto owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 04:20 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback needed from Toyo & Nitto owners

I need some real experience feedback here please, the situation is I ordered a wheel/tire package awhile back but the wheels were out of stock so I've been waiting. The package was to include Toyo t1-r tires in sizes 245/40/18 and 275/35/18. The seller, rims and price are not important to my question so I'll leave them out. The thing is I was informed the rims are in now but the seller wants to now give my Nitto 555 tires instead of the Toyo's and I think the Nitto's should cost less therefore I should pay less for the package, the seller says the Nitto's actually cost more but he'll honor the original deal. I've searched around and can't find the Toyo's for less than the Nitto's anywhere, so I said I'll wait on the Toyo's. Am I wrong, I can be stubborn and need a fresh perspective here. I don't question the guys honesty, he's been straight up with me all along, but I'm hung up on the thought that the Nitto's are not as expensive as the Toyo's and maybe not as good also. If anyone with experience with either or both of these tires can chime in I'd really appreciate it. I have had Nitto's in the past myself and know they're good tires, I've never used Toyo's before. Thanks, Chris.
Old 04-10-06, 04:39 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the Toyo's are a bit more expensive but just to let you know.....Toyo and Nitto are the same company. I'm sure someone will chime in on there experience......I can only speak from the Nitto 555's....and i loved them.
Old 04-10-06, 04:44 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I've never purchased tires from this place, it was one of the few online dealers I could find that carried both Nitto and Toyos.

http://performanceplustire.com

Through their website, you can get pricing on both models and see for yourself the difference. On the front tires, the Toyos were about $25 more than the Nittos. But on the rears, the Nittos were about $30 more than the Toyos. So, in the end, it comes out about the same.
Old 04-10-06, 06:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Toyo T1-Rs are great summer tires. They actually have had great traction in the wacky SoCal weather we have been having. They are a little biased towards some road noise, but that's expected of any Summer Max Performance tire. I'm used to the quietness of Ultra High Performance All Season aka Michelin Pilot Sport A/S & Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.
Old 04-11-06, 09:42 AM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

i believe there's a big difference between the T-1Rs vs 555s
T-1Rs are max performance summer tire
555s are ultra hig performance tire at best
substantial difference in how they stick and wear

chk to see if he's offering the 555Rs - they should be closer to the T-1Rs
Old 04-11-06, 11:22 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the others said, the T1-Rs are summer tires. They cost more than the 555s. The 555s wear (or lack of) really well though. If you want more handling and less wear, wait for the T1-Rs. If you can compromise on handling for more tire life, the 555s would be fine.
Old 04-11-06, 11:33 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had both tires, and I personally like the toyo better, just my 0.02 cents...
Old 04-11-06, 12:43 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, since the Toyo seems to be great summer tires those are a better choice for me, it's pretty much summer all the time here in AZ, but it's also good to know the two tires are not that far apart in quality and price as I thought, it puts my mind at ease.