Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

3 Piece Rim, Making a lip bigger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 09:03 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Piece Rim, Making a lip bigger?

So I have Emerald's old rims. 3 Piece Stark Carving rims, And am close to completely redoing my beat up SC. Before I go for tires, I was wondering if it was possible to have a place "make" me a bigger lip. The rims are 18x8.5 all around, and have a 1" lip all around. I would like the rear's to have a 2" lip or even more if it was possible. Anyone have any input on this? It looks like if Carving had replacement lips, I could just bring it to a place and have them replace my current lip..
Old 06-06-04, 09:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

last year some time, I was putting a deal together to buy some non-staggered 3pc Lowenharts, and I thought I could just buy the inner/outer lips for the rear to change the specs and make them staggered. I looked into and found that many companies will not just sell the lips (well at least Lowenhart doesnt). I know HRE or iForged will repair a damaged lip, but you have to do one of 2 things, disassemble the wheel and ship the damaged component, or ship the entire wheel. I dont think either would ship replacement lips.

who knows
Old 06-06-04, 11:02 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i wanted to do that to my old wheels, widen the rears from an 8.5' to a 10', but a shop told me it's not a good idea, they said it'll ruin the balance of the wheel, i don't kno if that's true, i didn't want to take a risk.....so anyone have input on this?

Pat
Old 06-06-04, 11:12 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

For most of the JDM 3-pcs wheels (or actually all of them,) u can't just buy one part of the wheel such as the outer rim, inner rim or the face. They don't sell that separate.
As for the domestic forged wheels, I believe u can do that. I was talking to Bob from HRE at the Junction Produce meet and he told me he is about to change his rear wheels' inner rims to make the rear from 20x10.5 to 20x11.

Last edited by ATSOU; 06-07-04 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

unless you really know someone who's in the wheels manufacturing problem, i would strong suggest against it

and about the lip, if you make it into 2", you decrease the offset by 12mm effectively, unless you mod the center too
Old 06-09-04, 11:34 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HRE and some other wheel companies will change the rim half for you. The rim companies have a lot of liability if they let other people change their rim halfs instead of them. The bolts have to be torqued properly and there is also the issue of air leaks if not done right. This is not a DIY project.

Some companies like Enkei make 3 piece wheels , but don't offer wheel halfs in different sizes, so there is no option to pick any rim width you want , unlike what HRE and other brands DO offer.

Changing only the outside rim will change the offset. So if you are changing ONLY the outside half, then you have to allow for the fender clearance from where your rim size is now, to the width you want it to be. This is why Bob would change the inside rim half ,since there is clearance left on the inside, but on the outside rim , the fender clearance is already maxed out.

Before we go much further in this discussion, keep in mind that this is not an economical upgrade. An HRE rim half costs around $290 and up. Labor is I think $90.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-09-04 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 11:55 AM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by llmidnitellsc40
i wanted to do that to my old wheels, widen the rears from an 8.5' to a 10', but a shop told me it's not a good idea, they said it'll ruin the balance of the wheel, i don't kno if that's true, i didn't want to take a risk.....so anyone have input on this?

Pat

You didn't mentionwhat type/ brand of wheels you have, so I'll assume you are talking about 3 piece wheels that can be dis-assembled.

First off, contact the wheel company directly and see what they say and if they offer this as an option, otherwise asking a shop for their opinion is worthless. BBS has been changing rim halves and sizes in auto racing for years. A quality 3 piece wheel will not have a balance problem.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-09-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RMMGS4
HRE and some other wheel companies will change the rim half for you. The rim companies have a lot of liability if they let other people change their rim halfs instead of them. The bolts have to be torqued properly and there is also the issue of air leaks if not done right. This is not a DIY project.

Some companies like Enkei make 3 piece wheels , but don't offer wheel halfs in different sizes, so there is no option to pick any rim width you want , unlike what HRE and other brands DO offer.

Changing only the outside rim will change the offset. So if you are changing ONLY the outside half, then you have to allow for the fender clearance from where your rim size is now, to the width you want it to be. This is why Bob would change the inside rim half ,since there is clearance left on the inside, but on the outside rim , the fender clearance is already maxed out.

Before we go much further in this discussion, keep in mind that this is not an economical upgrade. An HRE rim half costs around $290 and up. Labor is I think $90.
only 400 bucks?! that's pretty cheap already i think
Old 06-09-04, 12:53 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

His wheels are:
3 Piece Stark Carving rims
If I recall, the Stark is a Japanese wheel. For any Japanese wheel, you would need to contact the manufacturer to source additional or replacement rim components.

From my experience, the Japanese wheel manufacturers will not sell rim components or service their wheels- they require you to basically buy an entirely new wheel if service or changes are required. Perhaps this is good for sales figures, but it isn't necessarily that customer satisfaction oriented.

Basically, many three-piece wheel manufacturers use proprietary rim components, so they are not interchangable with other wheels. Variables include: different number of assembly fasteners and fastener thru-hole sizes, different rim width dimensions, different bead-seat profiles, different center opening dimensions, different material thickness, valve stem location, inner & outer lip profile, etc.

Most of HRE's rim components are proprietary. This means we can (and will) only service wheels made by HRE. I thnk you'll find this is pretty common in the industry, due to the liability involved.
For example, HRE will replace the assembly hardware whenever a wheel is disassembled. The 'stretching' of the assembly bolt during torquing can cause the bolt to stretch enough to make it's fatique life unpredictable if it is re-used. Also, different types of nuts & bolts will require different torque settings for proper assembly. Obviously, we have figured all this out for our application- but it will likely vary for yours.

More lip on the Stark, eh? I can see your future... it says... eBay.

-Bob
Old 06-09-04, 12:55 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by rominl
only 400 bucks?! that's pretty cheap already i think
Cheap for an HRE upgrade, I suppose.

I'm just pointing out that most people's whole rims don't cost $400, so if they are looking into widening their rim, not only is it probably not offered as an option, it will cost some $$ for parts & labor.
Old 06-09-04, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'm just pointing out that most people's whole rims don't cost $400, so if they are looking into widening their rim, not only is it probably not offered as an option, it will cost some $$ for parts & labor.
umm.... damn, guess you are right...
Old 06-09-04, 01:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Not too mention that was 300 bucks for a rim HALF, meaning you would need to spend 1200 bucks (300x4) to properly change the lips and offsets on the 2 rear wheels. Plus labor! Something for nothing just doesnt exist in this world! LOL
Old 06-09-04, 11:57 PM
TopSCecreT
Lexus Test Driver

You didn't mentionwhat type/ brand of wheels you have, so I'll assume you are talking about 3 piece wheels that can be dis-assembled.

First off, contact the wheel company directly and see what they say and if they offer this as an option, otherwise asking a shop for their opinion is worthless. BBS has been changing rim halves and sizes in auto racing for years. A quality 3 piece wheel will not have a balance problem.
Thanks for the input RMMGS4 , but that was ages ago like a year, haha, i already got rid of those and got my nice set of 19' staggered
Old 11-05-05, 04:23 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopSCecreT
Thanks for the input RMMGS4 , but that was ages ago like a year, haha, i already got rid of those and got my nice set of 19' staggered
I guess this thread kinda answered my question

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185930