Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 09:47 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Is it possible to have a bad strut and it not leak....??? I swear something is wrong with it but the dealer says nothing is wrong. At passing speeds on the highway the front end feels like its lifting and drifting to the right. Lexus swears that nothing is wrong. I invited their tech to drive it but we can't seem to get a time nailed down; after all they are about 1 hr from me.

The now has a very unstable feeling during city driving. The car almost feels like it's teetering which led me to believe that a corner is bad. What do y'all think
Old 10-21-13, 10:49 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

yes a shock/strut can be blown and not be leaking. a good way to test is to stand outside the car and go to the corner you suspect to be bad. place your hands on the top of the fender and give it a push down. if its pretty stiff and rebounds back without moving around too much, then the shock/strut is probably good.

if your having a drifting feeling, it could be your tires and the wear on the tires or maybe even an alignment.
Old 10-21-13, 04:25 PM
Iknowspurg
Driver

The dealership told me the same thing and they said the Michelin Pilots A/S 2 tire were directional and that was the issue. Ha!!! I replaced them with A/S 3s, a non directional tire, and there was no big difference.

I need to go test drive another gs to compare. I think they have no clue. I will try your suggestion later. Thanks
Old 10-21-13, 08:12 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Maybe too much air pressure in the tires, also have you check the alignment?
Old 10-22-13, 09:02 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Iknowspurg
The dealership told me the same thing and they said the Michelin Pilots A/S 2 tire were directional and that was the issue. Ha!!! I replaced them with A/S 3s, a non directional tire, and there was no big difference.

I need to go test drive another gs to compare. I think they have no clue. I will try your suggestion later. Thanks
I don't want to threadjack, but how are those AS3s compared to the AS plus's you had before?
Old 10-22-13, 09:35 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

It's kinda hard to say with my current situation. They are smooth and quiet.

I had the alignment done and even a bushing replaced. They checked the eps and steering but didn't find anything. I am going to post in the southeast region forum to see if I can a board member who can drive my car to help trouble shoot. I now don't like driving past 90mph. I may just take a day off work and visit Another dealership in south Atlanta.
Old 12-23-13, 02:03 PM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going back to the shocks, they can go flat and loose their gas pressure. That usually will cause the shock to spring back too fast cause that will cause you to loose your rebound damping. Go hit a thin speed bump or find a pot hole and hit it with the wheels, not fast, but enough to jar the car some. The one that pops the most will probably be the bad one. Then the bushings also and possible the wheel bearings. Lift the wheels off the ground and try to move the tired from top and bottom, back and forth. There shouldn't be and slack. And the list goes on
Old 01-09-14, 02:30 PM
Mmarinich
Driver

Had to replace the struts in my 07 350awd 73k. Struts weren't leaking but did not rebound after hitting bumps, esp. on highway. Drives like new!
Old 01-11-14, 08:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

mine's were at 50-60k I believe.... replaced under CPO warranty (a week or two before warranty gave out).

After warranty gave out I gave it a month or two and went full air LOL>