Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Clunky noise after install Tanabe coilover

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 02:00 AM
louisp_p
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunky noise after install Tanabe coilover

Hello everyone, I have a 08 GS350 RW, and recently installed Tanabe Sustec Pro five and then a clunky noise appears at the rear whenever I drive through bumpy road.(whenever the coilover encounter pressure, noise appears.) As the car carries more passengers, the noise gets louder and become unacceptable. The noise mainly comes from rear and especially right rear. Does anyone have the same problem? How can I solve it? If the noise cannot be solved, I may get back to stock coilovers
Old 07-03-09, 09:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

where did you have them installed??? Sounds like something is wrong. Did you buy te parts from the same shop that did the install??
Old 07-04-09, 10:12 AM
louisp_p
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
where did you have them installed??? Sounds like something is wrong. Did you buy te parts from the same shop that did the install??
I installed it at a local body shop and I bought it form another member here. Its a second hand and it has been used for around 3000mi. Does anyone have the same problem with a new Tanabe pro five?
Old 07-04-09, 11:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Not that I am aware of . I was looking at the same set up but ten went with the tein last minute. I am assuming that the guys at the body shop were not as well versed in Lexus as they may have thought. I would take it to a performance shop, the dealer, or at minimum back to the body shop to have the shocks inspected and to evaluate the quality of the install
Old 07-04-09, 02:32 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am assuming that the guys at the body shop were not as well versed in Lexus as they may have thought. I would take it to a performance shop, the dealer, or at minimum back to the body shop to have the shocks inspected and to evaluate the quality of the install
I don't know, man. Installing coilovers is about as basic as you can get and not too different from vehicle to vehicle. Easier even than installing springs. Sounds like a defective part. That having been said, everyone makes mistakes, so definitely inspect the work and the coilovers for defects.
Old 07-04-09, 06:38 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to have them check and make sure all the bolts are at the correct tork or at least tight.
Old 07-04-09, 07:32 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Alright, maybe I should head back to the shop which installed it for me. The noise is driving me crazy right now. Does any other brand of coilover for 3GS gets noise after install?

As what I have heard of, some old cars may get noise when they install spring or coilover even they are made for the exact same model.
Old 07-05-09, 02:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think the odds are higher that the install has issues, but the parts may be defective as well. Take it in and complain and let them figure it out
Old 07-06-09, 01:14 PM
louisp_p
Driver

Im wondering is there somebody in this forum has the same set up,Tanabe pro 5 on 08 GS350, as mine? Do they have noise?

By the way, I8ABMR, how about your Tein? Do they make noise?

I think I will take some photos of my Tanabe later this week and maybe you guys help me check it if there is some parts missing or weird.

Last edited by louisp_p; 07-06-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 02:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

louisp_p:

are you in vancouver? we can meet up; i'd like to see your setup. and i can recommend a shop to check your tanabe for you.