Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 01:11 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default springs and shocks

Hello

I just bought a 20"x9.5 Lowenhart LD1 rims and I'm not 100% sure but I think I have stock shocks and springs. My car is 1998 so they kinda old already as it is and I was thinking to change them anyway. My only question what to get right now? I mean I'm sure I could spend a fortune and get something really nice and expensive, but knowing that I still don't have a job I was kinda wondering what would you guys suggest me I was first thinking of going for "EIBACH PRO" (springs only) and then I would need to get a shocks. I dont know if that "EIBACH PRO" considers as the best or just over average, from what I understand people like them (from reading some of the posts made by our fellow CL members). And as for shocks I though I would go for "Tein CS" now sure how much is it (I think it one of the expensive ones, I haven't done research on prices yet). After talking to my friend he suggest me I should go with this:

The Bilstein PSS Suspension

(a little description)
The Bilstein PSS Suspension allows you to adjust your vehicle's ride height without the expense of the fully adjustable damping system.
This system features both coilover and standard monotube gas shocks with performance level valving along with application specific, progressive rate coil springs. The PSS system lets you set your car low and tight for optimum performance or back to a more stock like ride height and handling characteristics.

Ride height adjustments can be made on the vehicle without removing the suspension. The solid aluminum spring seat and lock nut allows selective adjustment of the vehicle's ride height. Spring travel and vehicle body height change, but the spring seat remains preloaded throughout the allowable range of adjustment.
(end of little description)

What do you guys think? Which one I should go with?

Please advice. I would highly appreciate anyone's input on that.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-03, 01:53 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that 20x9.5 or 20x8.5?
Old 09-08-03, 01:57 PM
alexus
Pole Position

I believe those are 9.5
Old 09-08-03, 02:49 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: springs and shocks

Originally posted by alexus

I just bought a 20"x9.5 Lowenhart LD1 rims and I'm not 100% sure but I think I have stock shocks and springs.
I wouldn't recommend 20X9.5 in the front. I'm sure it would rub!

Originally posted by alexus

And as for shocks I though I would go for "Tein CS" now sure how much is it (I think it one of the expensive ones, I haven't done research on prices yet
The Tein CS is not a shock alone. It is a full coilover system.

Last edited by 400DGRZ; 09-08-03 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 10:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Alexus,

Do a search in this forum for 'Bilstein PSS' where I did a fairly extensive writeup on the PSS I put on my GS. I switched from the Eibach / Bilstein combination.

You won't go wrong with either one of them. However, if you want to slam your car (make it go REALLY low) I'd suggest going with the Teins.
Old 09-12-03, 06:41 PM
Da Drifter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexus,

I think you might want to consider JIC FLTA2 if you want to go really low without compromising the ride quality...
Old 09-12-03, 07:16 PM
alexus
Pole Position

I was reading DaveGS4's writeup about Bilstein and I think i'm going go with them.. I dont want to drop my car that much and I want it to be sporty (stiffer) i dont want luxury .. hell with that i have my other lexus for luxury, this one is for sport driving
Old 09-12-03, 07:16 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Alexus,

Do a search in this forum for 'Bilstein PSS' where I did a fairly extensive writeup on the PSS I put on my GS. I switched from the Eibach / Bilstein combination.

You won't go wrong with either one of them. However, if you want to slam your car (make it go REALLY low) I'd suggest going with the Teins.
dave, thanks for write up.. was really interesting to read