Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors warped

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 02:34 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Rotors warped

Well after doing a search on my clinking noise when I brake and turn into my drive way, it seems to be that my rotors are warped now I have a question can I simply change my rotors to some drill slotted ones? Or should I just buy new stock ones? or can they resurface them or something like that? and how much am I looking at? I know Im sorry too many questions but any info would be greatly appreaciated. did i spell that right
Old 06-11-03, 02:38 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clicking noise at low speed is NOT due to warp rotor, make sure all the suspension components are tighten and the brake pads are not shifting.

steering wheel vibration when you brake is the first sign of rotor warp

Last edited by BananaGS; 06-11-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-11-03, 04:18 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Smile noise-when braking and turning ......

I want to post a link to this thread its called noise-when braking or turning by 2 savvy they basically described my problem and said it was being caused by the rotors being warpped Im sorry I dont know how to link
Old 06-12-03, 08:06 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Smile ok

Well I had a tech look at my suspension he said it was fine, now if the pads are shifting how can I stop that. please help oh and by the way Your diy page rocks thanks
Old 06-12-03, 09:10 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

they can add more plates something called "shim" to the back the the brake pads, so they won't move around anymore.
Old 06-12-03, 10:19 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

LEXISM - If you look at the squeal that disk brakes get, it is actually vibration from the pad contacting the rotor but being able to oscillate because of dirt or whatever, and that generates the squeal. The reason is that the pads are not attached to the piston in the caliper but float between the piston(s) and the rotor until the brake pedal is pushed and the piston pushes on the pad which pushes on the rotor. The OEMs of the world are sensitive to this and have come up with various shims that grab the pad or piston or both to try and reduce this. If you go to the auto parts stores you will see several tubes of goop that will be called something like "Disk Brake Squeal Stop" or something. So what do they do? They pretty much glue the pad to the piston. It is a high temp glue that really doesn't harden up too much and can be cleaned off with brake cleaner. Many brake shops, usually not the dealer, will liberally coat this stuff, even you have the shims, to make the brakes quiet and reduce the complaints from customers about squealing brakes after a brake job. This also insures that when you release the pressure on the brake pedal and the piston withdraws, the pads go with it instead of possibly still contacting the rotor with very low force. Many shops believe this stuff is far more effective than the shims. I haven't done any kind of real comparison but I skip it unless there is some really severe problem or some clown has thrown the shims away in a previous brake job.
Old 06-12-03, 11:18 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Talking thanks

Thanks for the info, now does any body know of a good shop that is certified to work on lexus and wont charge an arm or a leg . I took my car to LEXUS OF CERRITOS and they couldnt figure it out all they did was lube my brakes and wash my car for $85.00 and a week later the clinking noise started up again. so can some one please help me thanks