Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I change my rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 04:53 AM
blizz24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my rotors

So after feeling a pulsation in the brake pedal I took the car to the dealership thinking it was something serious (still under warranty) but resulted that I have no brake pads @ only 20k. Was driving the car like that for the past two weeks tops but most of the time was just highway. The mechanic told me that there was metal to metal contact and that the rotors are warped (still don't know how he knows, just because I had no pads?)

So I was thinking of just replacing the pads and see if I notice the same pulsation when braking. If they are warped I should be able to feel the pulsation, right? Or should I just go ahead and replace the rotor just because there was metal to metal contact?

ps: pulsation happens only while taking a wide turn (exit) and braking. Also, rotors have sign of wear (small lip at the outer edge)
Old 08-23-18, 08:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I would change the rotors out for sure. At that mileage and possible metal to metal contact the rotors are probably no good. I wouldn’t take the risk. Replace both the rotors and pads would be the best move IMHO.
Old 08-23-18, 10:52 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Agreed, replace the rotors and pads. The pulsation is caused by the warped rotors...has nothing to do with the pads being worn out.
Old 08-23-18, 11:53 AM
blizz24
Rookie

I was hopping I could save the money but I guess not. Anyways, a lot cheaper than paying $650 to the dealer
Old 08-23-18, 02:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blizz24
I was hopping I could save the money but I guess not. Anyways, a lot cheaper than paying $650 to the dealer
Installing them yourself would be super easy and would save you a lot of money.
Old 08-23-18, 03:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,565 Posts

The rotors were dead thousands of miles ago. Definitely change them. With bells on.

Search eBay for Meyle IS350 rotors $109 shipped to your door. Thank me later.
Old 08-25-18, 12:27 PM
blizz24
Rookie

So I took out the pads but there still some meat left on them, so I don't know why the mechanic said there was metal to metal contact.
Old 08-25-18, 12:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Unless one of the 4 pads is metal to metal?
Of course then the question is, why is that one pad metal to metal, if presumably the 3 other pads look like the one in your pic.
Old 08-25-18, 01:51 PM
blizz24
Rookie

That's from the driver side and both are the same. The passenger side had more meat left. Now I'm wondering why I felt the pulsation on the brake pedal, if there was no metal to metal contact to cause warpage. Perhaps something else?
Old 08-26-18, 06:53 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blizz24
That's from the driver side and both are the same. The passenger side had more meat left. Now I'm wondering why I felt the pulsation on the brake pedal, if there was no metal to metal contact to cause warpage. Perhaps something else?
Rotor warpage can occur from a variety of reasons.
Most common is prolonged excessive heat, like when a caliper is seized or seizing, or rapid cooling, like when the rotor is really hot, and then gets hit by water...enough to cool it quickly and warp it.
When pads and rotors go metal to metal, it's quite reasonable that the rotor would not warp at all...it could actually be perfectly straight still, minus when the pad is digging into it.
If you're getting a pulsation now and the pads still have material left, then the rotors are just warped, and would need machining or replacement.
Given the overall condition of the rotors, replacement is likely the best bet.
Old 08-26-18, 08:56 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

How long do our rotors actually last? My car is at 25k miles and I’ve replaced my pads so far but I don’t feel any steering wheel vibration while braking yet
Old 08-28-18, 08:36 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Metal-to-metal will score the surface very badly .. but may or may not warp the rotors. Warped rotors are causes from excessive heat to the disc. Warping can happen if you drive fast and then are heavy on the brakes (70+ mph with hard stopping). Non-performance brakes are usually not meant for this level of performance. If you need to drive that fast, then you'll want brakes that can handle the heat: Larger discs, center vented design, drilled, air ducting, etc ..
Old 08-28-18, 11:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Metal-to-metal will score the surface very badly .. but may or may not warp the rotors. Warped rotors are causes from excessive heat to the disc. Warping can happen if you drive fast and then are heavy on the brakes (70+ mph with hard stopping). Non-performance brakes are usually not meant for this level of performance. If you need to drive that fast, then you'll want brakes that can handle the heat: Larger discs, center vented design, drilled, air ducting, etc ..
The stock rotors we have are center vented and we have the air directed by the front bumper to the brakes so really warped rotors are probably from ridiculous brake abuse.
Old 08-30-18, 07:24 PM
blizz24
Rookie

I changed the pads and haven't felt the pulsation since, but I already bought the rotors so I'm going to change them anyways
Old 09-10-18, 05:54 PM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The rotors were dead thousands of miles ago. Definitely change them. With bells on.

Search eBay for Meyle IS350 rotors $109 shipped to your door. Thank me later.
I tried to search it on ebay.ca but doesn't have 2018 Lexus is350 rotors. Do you have the link?

Quick Reply: Should I change my rotors