Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

'06 IS350 Suspension/wheel/tire upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 09:39 PM
LittleMR2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 IS350 Suspension/wheel/tire upgrade

Forgive me as I don't know all that much about suspension/wheel/tire setups. I usually drive with factory setups, but since I've owned and driven an mr2 turbo, every other car I have driven have far too much body roll and and bugger all traction (in the wet). I love driving mountain and country roads (rough/bumpy roads here in New Zealand).

Alrighty, so I'm looking to upgrade suspension and cannot decide whether to go spring and shocks (friend of mine works in V8 super tourers recommend I go this route) or if I should go coilovers. I would like to know if there are any springs and shocks upgrades out there allowing a fair amount of adjustability so I can tune it to my drive style, or will I be better off going with coilovers. Coilovers are rather pricey, but am willing to save and sell a nut to go for it if needed. As far as ride comfort, the IS350 is my daily, so I'd like to be in between with comfort and performance, similar to my MR2. (I know, I know, comfort and performance don't mix, but come on.. I'm saying an MR2 is somewhat comfortable.) Hoping to achieve a fair amount of cornering capability (less bodyroll if any, more precise and keep a somewhat "Lexus ride quality".

(See attachment for ride height and wheels)

Now for wheels and tires, the car is sitting on 245/45r17 (rear) 225/45r17 (front) not sure on wheel width, I bought the car as is. I'm wanting to drop the car so the arches are just sitting above the tires. (also wanting future wheel upgrades. Hopefully 18 or 19" up to 10 in the rear and up to 9.5 in the front, could this set up cause rubbing/unwanted side effects? Details like this would be greatly appreciated.) As for tires, I was thinking of going with bridgestones, but if there are tires out there better or more suited to what I'm wanting to achieve, please let me know

First ever forum post, first Lexus and first time modder. Go easy :L

Cheers heaps!
Attached Thumbnails '06 IS350 Suspension/wheel/tire upgrade-20170307_171359.jpg   '06 IS350 Suspension/wheel/tire upgrade-20170226_145720-1-.jpg  

Last edited by LittleMR2; 03-07-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 10:07 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want a good spring/shock setup that has adjustable dampening, Koni yellows will run you a little over $800. Add in $200-$300 for a set of springs and you'll be golden. A HUGE reason people go with coilovers is a good spring/shock combo will be roughly the same price as BC coilovers without the ability to adjust the height of your car and most coilovers offer dampening adjustments as well, hence why many go that route. When you get into fitting big wheels, having the ability to adjust the height of the car perfectly for your uses is priceless. You won't get that with a good spring/shock combo. As for wheel sizes, I'm still doing research on that myself
The following users liked this post:
LittleMR2 (03-25-17)
Old 03-15-17, 01:35 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

A coilover's adjustable spring perches allow you to corner balance the car in addition to merely altering ride height. An additional expense for the post install alignment.

I also have the sw20 mr2, but with suspension mods. With TRD lowering springs & Bilstein struts (plus 205-215/16 tires), the car rode better than my bone stock Isf, but there's room for improvement. I went with coilovers for the f, and the improvement over stock (handling, ride & appearance) was night 2 day. There will soon be coilovers on the 2 as well.
The following users liked this post:
LittleMR2 (03-18-17)
Old 03-18-17, 01:19 AM
LittleMR2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Brian7 Yeah, a friend of mine had suggested Koni yellows with eibach springs. While another friend of mine who owns a gtr32 recommends BC coilovers. How does the ride quality compare between the two? I'm pretty torn on which to go for. From what I've read, it looks like you're leaning more to the coilover setup?

@tas02 What coilover are you running on the Isf? Also was the ride quality affected much by the coilovers? I could only imagine the body roll would almost be gone.

Last edited by LittleMR2; 03-18-17 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Premature post