Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Comprehensive Coilover Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 02:01 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comprehensive Coilover Ratings

I have a 2007 IS350 that I'm considering upgrading the suspension with either F Sport springs/shocks or a coilover setup.

Just to put it out there, it would be great to have a single thread where those who have modded their cars could comment on the driving experience with the new suspension setup.

For others, who are like me and thinking of an upgrade, I found and wanted to share this link that is pretty awesome for it's comparative ratings of various coilover setups, albeit for a different brand of cars. Would love it if some of the CL vendors who sell these parts would add their own comprehensive reviews as well. (and if you already have, please post links here). I have no affiliation with the linked author, and have never owned an acura

http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801396
Old 01-28-11, 03:00 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres only a handful of options for the IS and peoples opinions are gonna vary with the same coilover. Whats your budget? Do you need coilovers? I from personal experience can state how I thought these setups were.

I can tell you this from experience from these coilovers on my other rides. Note this is from various cars I have owned and not the IS250.
Tein, HKS, and JIC over rated. Any of there series. All 3 of these setups I thought were way to expensive, quality was lacking and just overall disappointed. The JIC I did not own, but road in a car with them and was disappointed.

KW is a great setup but pricey but it is worth the price.
BC Racing is a great setup for under $1k, get a new coilover for I believe $90
Megan not a bad setup for $800 and similar to the BCs but not as good.
Tanabe is a good setup but unlike BC do not do rebuilds.

Last edited by CarbonDtls; 01-28-11 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 09:40 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The simplist way to put it is that I want the sportiest ride possible without straying too far from the noise/feel/ride quality of the stock suspension setup. I couldn't care less about adjustments once I have the right setup.

I saw one post in a different thread where someone with F shocks / F springs said he regretted the install, and others have commented that the progressive springs result in a crappy experience over bigger bumps... which is the only reason why i am considering coil overs.

I'd be happy if I could mimic a factory sport-package 335i with my IS350.
Old 01-28-11, 11:44 PM
johnchi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had coilovers on every car I have owned.
On the JP cars I have owned I have had Teins, JIC and variation of HKS and Cusco suspension on my WRX and drift car.
On the Lexus I had Tein SS until a week ago and I am now running the KW V3.
After a full week with DD, autox and some mountain driving I would say KW v3 is the what I will stay with as It allows for a more comfortable ride without compromising performance. With the Tein being set to higher stiffness the car is more bouncy than the KW where the latter keeps you on your line and inspires more confidence.
In order to really compare the dry performance some measuring system would be needed but the KW just feels more sure-footed.

I suggest KW V3.

Last edited by johnchi; 01-28-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-29-11, 12:12 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I own Megan LP's on my IS250. These are the pros..

under $1,000
adjustable height/dampening
comfortable and rides smooth for a lowered car. (I've lowered all of my 8 cars)

If you're interested Megan sells their new EZ coils with less dampening ability.

I never plan to track my car so I really look for height most. I do have Sway bars, strut bar, and multiple chasis braces under the car so I think they all work in conjunction. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-29-11, 11:33 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with that is one guys opinion of a "good" coilover set could be a complete POS to another guy. It's all subjective.

What's your budget?

We recommend the BC Racing coils for the budget guys and if you have the money the KW's will yield the best street ride.

Shoot us a PM if you'd like some more info or help getting a set