Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

l tuned steering ecu problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-03, 05:52 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy l tuned steering ecu problem?

today i installed the l-tuned steering ecu. i only took it on a test drive but already i notice a slight improvement, i definatly think its worth the upgrade. also helped cure the loose steering problem of the gs, (a little). everything went fine, i put everything back and then i noticed something strange? maybe someone out there knows something about this phenomenon:

i hear something in the steering, like something is loose. either way its a mystery i want to solve, any suggestions. i was thinking about reinstaling the stock ecu, any thoughts??? thanx to all@

Last edited by elclassico; 05-17-03 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-10-03, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Hard to see how the steering ECU install and disengaging the shift-lock mechanism are related. Maybe you knocked something loose under the dash when putting in the ECU.
Old 05-10-03, 07:15 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default i was careful...

ya, thats why i called it a phenomenon. could you try it on your car to see if its normal? thanx!
Old 05-11-03, 06:49 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ya its normal

guess i never noticed it before , just paranoid? As i get to drive more with the new steering ecu i have noticed ,it is tighter. i have also noticed a new noise when going over bumps? maybe since the steering is tighter it doesnt absorb the bumps as well? either way over all im happy with the upgrade, if i ever get sick of it i can always change it back. like anything theres pros and cons i guess. we will se if this changes when i get the coilovers. thanx to everyone who helped. definatly recomende to anyone with steering issues. thanx to again!
Old 05-12-03, 05:56 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default no one else has this problem?

with the new steering ecu, i feel more from the road, i actually feel and here a new poping sound over some small bumps? i even feel it thru the pedals? anyone ever experience this? i will switch back to stock if this persists, i will wait untill coilovers atre installed! thanx!
Old 05-12-03, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

ECU can NOT cause any sounds going over bumps - that's always been the case for you, sorry. The ECU does not make the rack physically stiffer, it just boosts the assist less at most speeds.

Also, I noticed if my car's in park and I press on the brake, there is a click, like you said. That is NORMAL also.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-12-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 08:34 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Post ya well it just started.

thats always been the case for me? what are you talking about???well it did and it just started happening as soon as i put in the new ecu. but i determined it was a kwinkydink. You are right, they have nithing to do with eachother...So what could it be, it like a thunk, im thinking its the front sway bar a bit loose, i will soon post results. any othre suggestions?

I already figured the break clicking thing out, i determined the problem was my paranoid self...

Last edited by elclassico; 05-15-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-17-03, 02:52 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Thumbs up follow up

after some investigating work it was determined to be a loose sway bar bracket. the brackets bolt to the frame, hense feeling it in the pedal. it was just a strange thing it happend when i put in the new ecu. so i was able to remove all the bolts one at a time and reinstalll with lock tite. they were loose on both sides, enough to were i could take them out by hand. problem solved. if anyone experiences this try the sway bar brackets first. it sounded like something was loose. now, its as solid as ever! thanx to all who posted!

Last edited by elclassico; 05-17-03 at 02:54 AM.