Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Does having my car slammed/lowered hurt performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 05:39 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
How it works: you have to R E A D what I wrote.
Okay let me rephrase that, if I don't have traction problems BUT I DO have a lower CG does it affect acceleration still? Basically if we were to rule out traction issues and all other factors, does height alone play a role in this.

Also you didn't specify what .01 even meant? Are you talking .01 of a second? Please don't be rude. Act your age
Old 07-20-16, 05:42 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Default Does having my car slammed/lowered hurt performance?

Also I told how my coilovers are setup (stiff) as a way of essentially asking if having your suspension set to soft or stiff affects traction or weight transfer and what not.
Old 07-22-16, 06:55 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Also I told how my coilovers are setup (stiff) as a way of essentially asking if having your suspension set to soft or stiff affects traction or weight transfer and what not.
I'm not an expert but I believe that stiffer springs reduce the weight transfer front to back the same way it does side to side in cornering. So with less of the weight being transferred to the rear during a stand still acceleration I would think that you would have less traction. For example, if you take a look at very high power RWD cars in drag racing the entire front is basically airborne on initial launch but eventually comes down. It seems like all the weight of the car is on the rear wheels to provide maximum traction to get off the line, but then again there are those crazy fast cars at the strip that don't have any frontal lift either so I'm just hypothesizing.

TLR If you're not having any traction issues then you don't really have to worry about the weight shift during acceleration to help load up the tires for more traction if you don't have any wheel spin off the line.
Old 07-22-16, 07:09 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aspect
I'm not an expert but I believe that stiffer springs reduce the weight transfer front to back the same way it does side to side in cornering. So with less of the weight being transferred to the rear during a stand still acceleration I would think that you would have less traction. For example, if you take a look at very high power RWD cars in drag racing the entire front is basically airborne on initial launch but eventually comes down. It seems like all the weight of the car is on the rear wheels to provide maximum traction to get off the line, but then again there are those crazy fast cars at the strip that don't have any frontal lift either so I'm just hypothesizing.

TLR If you're not having any traction issues then you don't really have to worry about the weight shift during acceleration to help load up the tires for more traction if you don't have any wheel spin off the line.
Ah okay I get it, so for acceleration purposes it would theoretically be better to not have the springs set to stiff. But for cornering purposes you should.

Also I am having traction issues at the moment but I only meant to rule out traction issues due to other factors such as tires, etc... I was basically just trying to get to the bottom of whether height Playa a role in any of this or not. But the way you put it it kinda does, since I only have my car on stiff because I thought it would help prevent the car from bouncing to much in dips. Which would help lower the chances of hitting/scraping/rubbing.
Old 07-22-16, 12:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Ah okay I get it, so for acceleration purposes it would theoretically be better to not have the springs set to stiff. But for cornering purposes you should.
BINGO! This is what I had stated earlier. LOL!