Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air Suspension: Double bellow, Sleeve, or Cups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 08:52 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension: Double bellow, Sleeve, or Cups?

As the title states, I'm in the process of putting together my air suspension set up, but would like some guidance on which route to go with from those who have experience. I've been on the forum for some time and read the threads referencing the rubbing issue on UAS, Air Runner, and Ksport bags rubbing. Has anyone had experience with a sleeve set up on our application? I'm a little concerned with going the sleeve route due to front end of the (400) being a little heavier and the extra air pressure needed. Then again, I haven't used either or so any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-16, 09:54 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I dont know about the others, never heard of them rubbing. However, stay away from UAS!

Yes, they're very nice people, very good product, good quality and great customer service, but theres no solution to the bag rubbing thats worth spending the money. Its a design flaw that has been addressed with a $200 fix that is NOT a fix. The next step which does fix it actually will raise the car up another ~.5", yes its a small amount, but when low already, every fraction of an inch count, not to mention the extra height defeats the purpose of having bags. There are plenty of true fixes that wont affect height, but you have to spend hundreds (close to a thousand) and some over a grand to 2.

The next question to your question is what are you looking for? You want a soft ride, a stiff ride or a sport ride? Float or no float? What height are you planning on driving?

I've heard those with airrunner have the problem of too soft a ride for the ride height causing lots of bottoming out on dips and/or tires rubbing on fenders or bending them due to aggressive fitment.

Just some things to consider.
Old 07-16-16, 02:12 AM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got an Aristo on on Bilstein/UAS and another on Airrex.

I'd have to repeat Mr Jokster's comments. Don't bother with UAS. Great people, great service but the end result is so disappointing. The front rubs the bag at not even that low. You can't drive low on them as they're too soft. Of course the plus is they ride great. I got the Bilstein struts, bags and brackets from them.

The other problem with UAS is the rear "kit". What a cobbled together POS that is... OEM top hats are tapered, bit of round tube shoved up it. Air'ed out the rear bags can spin... It works I guess but it's janky and far from pretty.

I dealt with Zack over a long time and I've got nothing bad to say about him or their service, they really were great.

My other car has the white Airrex in it. Night and day difference. Ride is about the same as a middle road coil over spring. I drive it with about a finger in the front guard, slightly tucking the rear tire and it's mint. I backed the adjustability of the dampers off as maxed, it felt like it was on a po go stick. It doesn't float around and (to me) it feels "sporty".

Both managed by accuair eLevel.
Old 07-16-16, 12:36 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front bag rubbing must be an issue when using coil overs because I've never had a bag rub with OEM struts.

The UAS Aero Sport bags do tend to deteriorate inside and develop leaks after about 8 years of usage.
Old 07-16-16, 01:17 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rgarjr
The front bag rubbing must be an issue when using coil overs because I've never had a bag rub with OEM struts.

The UAS Aero Sport bags do tend to deteriorate inside and develop leaks after about 8 years of usage.
You're probably one of none to not have the problem, or something is different on what they gave you or plenty of other reasons why its not happening to you. I'm completely stock with my setup and I have to replace my front bags every year. It IS an issue or else uas wouldnt have a kit on the market it to fix it. Consider yourself lucky...

Actually, I'm on kyb struts. I think they do sit lower. However, are your front bags sitting on the perch up front, or did you shave them? Any pics on the install, also, any pics on how low you are when dumped? Those 2 pics will tell me exactly why you dont have the problem.
Old 07-16-16, 06:15 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I'm on the Kyb OEM struts here as well. I just took out the lower coil spring seat on the strut and then slide the UAS lower bracket on to the strut. The strut has a little bulge that prevents the lower bracket from slipping down. Then the bag goes on, and then the billet top mounts.

It could very well be that I don't drive that low, maybe that's why its not rubbing.

There's a bunch of different options nowadays for the GS, Airlift, AirRex

Last edited by rgarjr; 07-16-16 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-16-16, 09:49 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks jokster for taking the time to respond and guiding me in the right direction. I'm looking for more of a stiffer setup. I've been in some cars with airride and I'm not much of a fan of the floating feel while in the cabin (air mattress feel) is the best way I could describe it. I figured sleeve set up might contribute to that more which is another reason I'm leaning more towards double bellow. Anyways, yeah it seems like UAS is out of the question, but wondering if anyone has gone with airlift or encountered issues with their double bellows rubbing.
Old 07-16-16, 09:54 PM
Manhitbytr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hes in socal but give kennedy a call, really cool guy. You need coilovers to run his setup though.
http://www.phantomsuspension.com/
Old 07-19-16, 07:01 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I run the Airrex kit, strut and controller. I had double bellow front and sleeves rears at first but upgraded to double bellow rears. There are 12 way adjustment on the struts and I'm at 3 notches from soft to hard front and rear. Air pressure on the street ranges from 80 PSI to highway about 100 PSI. Nice and comfortable ride.
Old 07-26-16, 02:24 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really look at the Fortune auto air setup. It is well thought out. Plus you can determine exactly how you want the final ride to be by choosing the right main coil tension.

http://www.fortune-auto.com/airpistonliftsystem.htm

check it out!! and it's very reasonable