Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 03:44 AM
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this today on my '98 gs400. Used a runway lift, prothane urethane bushings from energy suspension parts with extra grease all over everything. Didn't have to remove rear wheels.

Car has 127k miles and I feel like the bushings reduced body roll a whole lot when turning. Great guide.
Old 05-18-13, 04:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CrooperJ
Did this today on my '98 gs400. Used a runway lift, prothane urethane bushings from energy suspension parts with extra grease all over everything. Didn't have to remove rear wheels.

Car has 127k miles and I feel like the bushings reduced body roll a whole lot when turning. Great guide.
I just installed the Daizen front sway bushings last night and steering rack buhings.. Didn't do the rear yet.. Can i back up the rear on ramps or does the rear need to be jacked up? I don't remember..

Also do u have a part number or link to the Energy Suspension? I found the part number for the prothane but its better to have a few choices.. Don't think i wanna do the Daizen because of people complaining about the sqeak
Old 05-18-13, 11:23 AM
CrooperJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I just installed the Daizen front sway bushings last night and steering rack buhings.. Didn't do the rear yet.. Can i back up the rear on ramps or does the rear need to be jacked up? I don't remember..

Also do u have a part number or link to the Energy Suspension? I found the part number for the prothane but its better to have a few choices.. Don't think i wanna do the Daizen because of people complaining about the sqeak
I didn't use any jacks. Just lifted it on a ramp. You can find the rear bushings on energy suspension here:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...xus+GS400+1998
Old 05-18-13, 02:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by CrooperJ
I didn't use any jacks. Just lifted it on a ramp. You can find the rear bushings on energy suspension here:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...xus+GS400+1998
thanks.. i have some Rhino ramps in the garage but i will order these and some extra grease.. thanks

Edit: Ordered the Prothane rear bushings from Energy Suspension... Thanks Crooper..

Last edited by tmf2004; 05-19-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 05:41 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Another option for sway bar bushings

http://www.carid.com/universal-suspe...t-4665872.html

These look like they might fit our stock location. Just need to figure out the inner diameter of the bushing.. plus these are greasable
Old 06-05-13, 07:58 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just did this with the Prothane bushings front and rear on a 98 GS4 with 150k miles. OEM bushings had no visible wear but wow what a difference. Some posts estimated a 20-30% cornering improvement, it was more than that for me. Handling was previously soft and unpredictable (I'm on OEM suspension), these bushings improved steering response, tracking and reduced body roll significantly.
Old 06-05-13, 08:36 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Just did this with the Prothane bushings front and rear on a 98 GS4 with 150k miles. OEM bushings had no visible wear but wow what a difference. Some posts estimated a 20-30% cornering improvement, it was more than that for me. Handling was previously soft and unpredictable (I'm on OEM suspension), these bushings improved steering response, tracking and reduced body roll significantly.
Great that u felt an improvement. With even 72k miles on my GS my sway and steering where pretty soft and rubbery especially the steering rack... Still need to the rear maybe this week.. For under $50 its worth it..
Old 06-07-13, 07:53 PM
Briannyc
Banned Created Multiple Accounts

What's the difference between diazen and prothane?
Old 06-10-13, 02:37 PM
Briannyc
Banned Created Multiple Accounts

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Hey do you know what's the difference between Prothane and Daizen? How's the difference right now?Same as when you installed the bushings?

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-13, 09:12 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Briannyc
Hey do you know what's the difference between Prothane and Daizen? How's the difference right now?Same as when you installed the bushings?

Thanks for the info.
I don't know if there's any difference, they are both poly. Both brands will likely have the same effect. The difference is still the same, cornering is much improved as is steering response. Most poly bushings don't wear like rubber ones and will outlast the life of the car.
Old 04-26-14, 07:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Bumping this up, just ordered the prothane front bushings and some extra grease, came out to be around $20. Figured i might as well get it done now after I've thrown mindless amounts of money at the car. Will let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 05-16-14, 08:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just out in the prothanes and roca sway bar end links, at first I couldn't really tell the different but after finding some curvy roads and taking a few on and off ramps as well as a curvy back country road, this is the best thing you can do to your car handling wise for such a small price ( for the endlinks and bushings it was like $60). The car takes turns much flatter and I highly suggest it. Also did the steering rack bushings at the same time. The car has 90k miles
Old 05-16-14, 09:35 PM
vbacky
Rookie

My mechanic changed my sway bar busghings in 20 mins. Is that even possible? I wasnt paying attention but as I read here on 2-3 hours diy jobs im questioniong what exactly did mines do....
Old 05-16-14, 09:42 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That sounds about right.

The bushings are fast to replace. After taking off any plastic splashshield, It is just 2 bolts for each of the 2bracket then the bushing is accessible to replace.

If you do it at home, it'll take you longer because you have to get the car off the ground and you have to work on your back underneath a car (unless you are so fancy you have access to a garage with a lift).

The only possible gotchas where you may have an anxiety attack and your OCD causes you to question your mechanic is:

-Did they use enough bushing grease?
-Did they use loctite when putting the brackets back?
-Did they retighten using the specific torques?

Otherwise it's a very easy job.
Old 05-17-14, 03:10 AM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just swapped out my front and rear sway bar bushings with prothane ones. Front ones were cracked and rears had a little play. Car feels great now and has better control when cornering hard. They are not a full blown upgrade like the trd bars but worth every penny of the $35 I spent on amazon for them. Fyi if you end up breaking a bolt like I did you could just hammer out the base nut. It has 4 small tack welds holding it in place. Then just put in a new nut and bolt to secure the mounting bracket. I used a 1/2 inch head bolt and nut but oem is 12mm ftw. Install took about 20 min but I have a lift. Should only take 30 min if being done on the ground. It helps to have a wide flat head screw driver to open the split in the bushings when installing the bushings since poly bushing are stiff and fight you to death when your trying to get them on the bars.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive fix to body roll - Daizen polyurethane sway bushings