Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Crossmember brace broken. What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 05:30 AM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crossmember brace broken. What does it do?

Hey guys,

I started a thread about my issue, but it was deleted before I could finish reading the responses. Don't know why that happened, anyway. I found a broken crossmember brace under the front of my 02 gs430. Looks like water from the A/C hose was dripping directly onto the brace and rusted her through. My question, what does the brace actually support, can I remove it and still drive while I wait for a replacement and when can I get a used one for cheap? I really don't need the aftermarket ones right now. I'm just starting a new job and can't justify spending over $200 bucks for the upgrade. Thanks guys. Oh here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Crossmember brace broken. What does it do?-image.jpg  
Old 10-12-15, 05:32 AM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Default Another pic

Close up of damage
Attached Thumbnails Crossmember brace broken. What does it do?-image.jpg  
Old 10-12-15, 12:18 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I think your in the wrong area. You should try posting in the 2nd gen GS. I can tell you though that a cross member is impotent. It helps the rigidity of the car and will effect the handling of your car.
Old 10-12-15, 03:12 PM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry

Originally Posted by DoriSaru15
Sorry, but I think your in the wrong area. You should try posting in the 2nd gen GS. I can tell you though that a cross member is impotent. It helps the rigidity of the car and will effect the handling of your car.
Sorry. I thought I was posting under gs430. Thanks for your help
Old 10-12-15, 08:13 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmojo78
Hey guys,

I started a thread about my issue, but it was deleted before I could finish reading the responses. Don't know why that happened, anyway. I found a broken crossmember brace under the front of my 02 gs430. Looks like water from the A/C hose was dripping directly onto the brace and rusted her through. My question, what does the brace actually support, can I remove it and still drive while I wait for a replacement and when can I get a used one for cheap? I really don't need the aftermarket ones right now. I'm just starting a new job and can't justify spending over $200 bucks for the upgrade. Thanks guys. Oh here are some pics...
Get one from the junkyard.
Old 10-13-15, 09:07 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys,

Use my advice at your own risk.

From looking at that particular brace its setup to prevent front to rear movement, so you should notice a difference in that the steering being a bit shakey, or odd movements when hitting a pothole or cornering with a good degree of force on that side of the car.

If you're planning on leaving it for a bit, I would cut away the broken portion next to your resonator/cat to prevent it from puncturing the exhaust under movement.

As others have said that piece is there for stability and probably some degree of frontal crash worthiness but it doesn't appear to be directly supporting the weight of any critical components. The only thing I could see happening is the front crossmember shifting backwards due to impacts on that tire which will throw out your alignment eventually and **may** cause some residual damaged eventually to your steering rack or tie rods... unlikely but possible with a big impact.

In all aside from the potential to puncture the exhaust I wouldn't worry about it too much if you need a couple months to get it fixed. Just treat the car nicely and avoid potholes and you should be ok to limp along.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (02-07-22)
Old 10-14-15, 04:31 AM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sarmyth

From looking at that particular brace its setup to prevent front to rear movement, so you should notice a difference in that the steering being a bit shakey, or odd movements when hitting a pothole or cornering with a good degree of force on that side of the car.

If you're planning on leaving it for a bit, I would cut away the broken portion next to your resonator/cat to prevent it from puncturing the exhaust under movement.

As others have said that piece is there for stability and probably some degree of frontal crash worthiness but it doesn't appear to be directly supporting the weight of any critical components. The only thing I could see happening is the front crossmember shifting backwards due to impacts on that tire which will throw out your alignment eventually and **may** cause some residual damaged eventually to your steering rack or tie rods... unlikely but possible with a big impact.

In all aside from the potential to puncture the exhaust I wouldn't worry about it too much if you need a couple months to get it fixed. Just treat the car nicely and avoid potholes and you should be ok to limp along.
You are absolutely correct. I feel a slight shake in the steering wheel and the car doesn't feel as solid around turns. I was thinking my tie rods were going but all bushings look to be in good shape. I've called every junkyard in a 50 mile radius with no luck. I can't even find a yard with a Lexus, let alone a gs430 cross member brace. Goes to show that Lexus definitely made a bulletproof tank with the gs series!!!! I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy brand new!
Old 10-14-15, 05:42 PM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed

Okay. I purchased a used brace, sanded, painted and installed it. Now I'm getting a clanging noise when I put the car in reverse or drive. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-15, 12:33 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

moved to correct place.
Old 10-15-15, 09:16 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Okay. I purchased a used brace, sanded, painted and installed it. Now I'm getting a clanging noise when I put the car in reverse or drive. Any ideas?
If you look at your before and after pictures you'll see the new brace has an extra mounting tab in the center by the transmission... My guess is it's that tab which is hitting the transmission when it vibrates in reverse. That would be my only guess based off the pictures you uploaded.

So just grind off or bend that tab down to increase the clearance if that is the part which is interfering.
QLex300 (02-07-22)
Old 11-11-15, 05:03 AM
mrmojo78
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

If you look at your before and after pictures you'll see the new brace has an extra mounting tab in the center by the transmission... My guess is it's that tab which is hitting the transmission when it vibrates in reverse. That would be my only guess based off the pictures you uploaded.

So just grind off or bend that tab down to increase the clearance if that is the part which is interfering.
You were so right, thank you. I lifted the car and saw that the metal tab was indeed scraping the bottom of the transmission. I just bent the tab back and the awful noise is GONE!!! Thank you again. Had me worried about my transmission. Only two noises left are the rear clunk over bumps and the loud whining noise on start up. Thank you again.
QLex300 (02-07-22)
Old 11-12-15, 03:00 PM
sarmyth
Driver

You were so right, thank you.
You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out and that's all it was.

Only two noises left are the rear clunk over bumps and the loud whining noise on start up. Thank you again.
Those ones are much harder from afar =) Clunk over bump could be a number of things from wheel bearings to bent shocks to worn u joints in the driveshaft. You'll probably need a real mechanic for that, but if it's only on bumps it's probably not horrible to leave it be.

If it's whining it could be drive belt squeal; simply adjusting the drive belt tensioner (or if its autotensioning replacing that part) should be sufficient... or if the belt is frayed or damaged simply replacing it. But you probably want to have a mechanic do that if you don't have a torque wrench.

Good luck!