Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

pros+cons of upper mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-03, 10:41 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question pros+cons of upper mounts

ok, coilover lovers/owners..

could you kindly explain to me the good/bad part of having the "upper mounts" included in the unit from the maker?

thank you

william
Old 04-01-03, 07:18 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

William,
In my opinion, the biggest benefit of the upper mounts is that they provide a range of adustment for the suspension geometry that isn't there with a fixed mount. Notice all the posts from GS owners where their front tires are wearing on the inside after a minimal (like L-Tuned) drop. That's because the front end specs are really tight on the GS and it's very difficult to get it aligned properly... it almost seems to me that the correct alignment spec is right at the ragged edge of what camber adjustment is offered. Anyway, the upper mounts would provide more range of adjustments in this area, so it would be much easier to properly align the front end even after more severe drops. That's one of the reasons that lots of coilovers come with upper mounts, or offer them as an option.
Old 04-01-03, 10:46 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mumbles
William,
In my opinion, the biggest benefit of the upper mounts is that they provide a range of adustment for the suspension geometry that isn't there with a fixed mount. Notice all the posts from GS owners where their front tires are wearing on the inside after a minimal (like L-Tuned) drop. That's because the front end specs are really tight on the GS and it's very difficult to get it aligned properly... it almost seems to me that the correct alignment spec is right at the ragged edge of what camber adjustment is offered. Anyway, the upper mounts would provide more range of adjustments in this area, so it would be much easier to properly align the front end even after more severe drops. That's one of the reasons that lots of coilovers come with upper mounts, or offer them as an option.
Are you sure? Sounds like you are talking about adjustable upper mounts. None of the coil-overs for the GS are camber adjustable.

Are you talking about pillow ball uppers versus the regular rubber ones Will?

R

Last edited by AgGS400; 04-01-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-01-03, 06:48 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys for the input..

R..well, the unit says that "upper mount" is included...and i know only few brands include them as a no cost option
Old 04-02-03, 12:07 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think mumbles has the right idea, but like aggs said, I dont believe that any of the available options for the GS comes with adjustable top mounts, I know for a fact that the Tein does not.

Its my understanding that the upper mounts give you better handling, due to the lack of flex that the stock rubber upper mounts have. if you notice, some of the coilovers that are more geared towards comfort, come with a harder rubber upper mount, rather than the solid pillowball type. I believe the Tein CS come with the rubber, I could be wrong though.

I know one thing though, it is a much easier install with coilovers that come with the upper mount already assembled. No spring compressing, etc, etc.....

Im sure someone else will chime in with a more complete explanation thatn this.
Old 04-04-03, 12:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GS's dual A-Arm style suspension can not be camber adjusted with just a pillowball upper. That is why no manufacture makes it for the GS.

As for the pillowball uppers, as TTurboPimp said, it gives you better handling by tightening up the shock movement. With rubber uppers, the shock can move around, not so with solid metal pillowball uppers...it's suppose to give more "precise" suspension, however, it also transfers road imperfections more than rubber or hard rubber upper mounts...but your choice of wheels/tire (size, profile, etc.) is the major determining factor when it comes to ride quality. Big wheels with a low profile tire will hurt your ride quality MUCH more than a solid metal pillowball upper.

My SC400 with JIC SF-1's (solid metal pillowball uppers) rides near stock on 16" stock donuts. Just a little stiffer when it comes to absorbing bumps/dips in the road...but that's more because of the shock/spring setup...

The Tein CS do come with hard rubber uppers for a slightly more gentle ride...I drove Steve Ganz's car with Tein CS's and 18" wheels and it drove very nicely...just a little bit stiffer than stock...comparable to my SC400 with JIC's SF-1's and stock 16" donuts...

Also, like TTurboPimp said, install is much easier...my JIC's went in like nothing...just pre-adjust them and then install them....my H&R's had rubber uppers and they too were easy to install...no need to transfer the upper (that's what makes it hard and time consuming) from my stock setup.