Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Q: Susp: Coilover Longterm Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 11:02 AM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q: Susp: Coilover Longterm Ownership

I am on the triad of cheap realiable performance. That never goes together so I need to weigh my options on coilover longterm ownership vs longterm ownership of a spring and strut setup.

I could replace my OE suspension with OE KYB parts or spend the U$D on the Bilstein Eibach JZA80 Twin Tuebo combo.
The Bilstien combo is about 750 with out the mounts.
The Tein Basis and Advance are usually the cheapest known brand and solution to thebudget market.
I do plan on a responsive ride at the compromise of comfort but not on a ride height so low that the exposed undercarriage is vunerable to susceptible damage from road conditions.

Should I be a minimalist and purchase OE quality KYB springs and struts or make a committing cost investment and own the Eibach Bilstiens with lifetime warranty?
I may just hire a Japanese student in my class whom is also a car enthusiastic as an interpreter to call Tein Japan for absolute best advice on a setup custom ordered to my JZZ31 and my driving conditions; I knowingly am self assured that when I try to haggle the price on the coilovers and get a firm reply on its price that screaming

"O-C'Mon!"

Intervally and repeatedly
Isn't going to accomplish a damn thing but a grin and phone call to Tein USA CA to place my order.
Old 04-23-15, 08:34 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bilsteins will never steer you wrong. Its factory stock on many many vehicles including the Supra itself.
Old 04-23-15, 10:00 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride height on coils is adjustable so you really don't have to go super low if you don't want to. You won't be disappointed with coilovers, only difference is the ride will get a bit stiffer than a spring and strut combo.
Old 04-24-15, 06:27 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If time is not a major factor I'd suggest scouring the classified forums here and on Supraforums looking for a set of stock MKIV TT coilovers. This will give you a small drop, more responsive handling and all while riding pretty close to an OE Supra. You should be able to find them for ~$300 shipped to your door.

If this doesn't get you to where you want to be from a height, comfort or responsiveness standpoint you can pull the Bilsteins and incorporate them into a Gixxer_Drew suspension setup. This will net you a truly custom coilover setup and still be done for less than a basic set of pre-fabbed coilovers with a spring rate you have no control over.
Old 05-02-15, 10:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
If this doesn't get you to where you want to be from a height, comfort or responsiveness standpoint you can pull the Bilsteins and incorporate them into a Gixxer_Drew suspension setup. This will net you a truly custom coilover setup and still be done for less than a basic set of pre-fabbed coilovers with a spring rate you have no control over.
^^ You can't go wrong with AK1242 & AK1243 Bilsteins on the 500/250 Hypercoil Gixxer setup.

The only downside for the Gixxer setup is that it's not designed to be lowered more than 1.5" so you still have a very "stock vehicle" looking ride height. Not a bad thing if you want to be stealth and aren't concerned about being low. Plus, the Bilsteins can be rebuilt and revalved if you wish. Very durable setup.

I also think they're a far better option than Tein Basics. Tein Flex might be a better comparison of features and price.
Old 10-07-15, 05:54 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ You can't go wrong with AK1242 & AK1243 Bilsteins on the 500/250 Hypercoil Gixxer setup.

The only downside for the Gixxer setup is that it's not designed to be lowered more than 1.5" so you still have a very "stock vehicle" looking ride height. Not a bad thing if you want to be stealth and aren't concerned about being low. Plus, the Bilsteins can be rebuilt and revalved if you wish. Very durable setup.

I also think they're a far better option than Tein Basics. Tein Flex might be a better comparison of features and price.
The Street Basis come with 672LB 392LB springs thats about what the GIXXERR setup comes with.

I think the BASICS were probably where TEIN got such bad rep from.
Old 10-08-15, 09:10 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-damper-Coilover-Suspension-FOR-92-00-SC300-SC400-93-98-Toyota-Supra-/141663883191?fits=Year%3A1995%7CMake%3ALexus%7CModel%3ASC400&hash=item20fbd34fb7&vxp=mtr
Are the above any good or are they Junk?
Old 10-09-15, 11:39 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

for 100 bucks more you can get brand new Megan EZ streets which are proven to last. mine have been on the car for 5 years since the previous owner had the car and they're still great. don't buy brandless ebay coilovers.
Old 10-09-15, 12:36 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
for 100 bucks more you can get brand new Megan EZ streets which are proven to last. mine have been on the car for 5 years since the previous owner had the car and they're still great. don't buy brandless ebay coilovers.
I was driving down a road full of potholes and cant see why some people opt for a full race coilover system no sense on a street daily driver. I'm trying to stay planted even on crappy roads.

I would not go with a nameless brand of coilover just a bad decision . Do not **** around with subpar wheels tires brakes or suspension components. its the only thing that keeps you safe.
Old 10-12-15, 09:59 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
Thanks for the info I was wondering maybe these brandless ones are made by someone. I ll avoid them thanks.
Old 10-12-15, 10:50 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

So which bilsteins work with 1995 Sc400 I see ak1242 and ak1243 but I think they made a change seems these do not fit anymore.
Old 10-12-15, 10:56 AM
bluetii
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe nf210 Springs with Tokico HP blue any opinions. I m sold on the Megan Racing ezstreet II but I m afraid with the roads in my area they will be too harsh. Your opinions?