Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY: 3IS Spring Installation! Picture intensive

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 12:19 PM
YoungRider
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! that’s a relief! Will get that sensor fixed asap and should be good to go

first time installing coilovers on these newer cars with all these new systems (abs,vsc,pcs) so wasn’t sure what to expect.
Old 06-05-20, 09:23 AM
Tan2349
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, sorry might be a noob question but can I use a lowering spring for a RWD to an AWD model of 3IS (2015 IS250 AWD F-SPORT). I have a Tein S-Tech Spring (skq74-aub00) which is a RWD spring based on their site but i have no luck of finding an AWD Tein S Springs. Im wondering if i can still install these to my AWD model even if its for RWD model. Thanks. My first time asking on this forum so pardon my noob question
Old 06-05-20, 10:11 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan2349
hello, sorry might be a noob question but can I use a lowering spring for a RWD to an AWD model of 3IS (2015 IS250 AWD F-SPORT). I have a Tein S-Tech Spring (skq74-aub00) which is a RWD spring based on their site but i have no luck of finding an AWD Tein S Springs. Im wondering if i can still install these to my AWD model even if its for RWD model. Thanks. My first time asking on this forum so pardon my noob question
Great question for your first post...and welcome to the forum!

I don't think anyone has tried it with the 3IS to my knowledge, but I know on the RC forum that they have installed the aftermarket F Sport springs (the blue ones) for the RWD into the AWD without any perceived issues.
In theory, as the AWD sits a little higher, the spring should be technically different...also there is more weight in the front of the car (front diff. driveshafts, etc.).

Having said that, as you're now moving to an aftermarket spring, spring rates aside, might thought would be that the RWD spring should fit the AWD strut.
Given that you're probably not tracking the car, even with the added weight of the AWD, i would think it should be ok for street use.

The following users liked this post:
Tan2349 (06-05-20)
Old 07-22-20, 02:54 PM
Thatredlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Treese30
I used the wrong size allen wrench that stripped the bolt, ended up sawing it off and replaced with a new aftermarket endlink. Used the correct 6mm allen wrench on my 2014 fsport rwd for the other side and that came loose fine.
what after market links did you go with? Ima just saw mine off too
Old 07-22-20, 02:55 PM
Thatredlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Treese30
I used the wrong size allen wrench that stripped the bolt, ended up sawing it off and replaced with a new aftermarket endlink. Used the correct 6mm allen wrench on my 2014 fsport rwd for the other side and that came loose fine.
Originally Posted by truu
I had to cut and replace my rear end links. The nut kept spinning.
what did you reolace them with aftermarket? Any link?
Old 07-22-20, 03:02 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Thatredlex
what did you reolace them with aftermarket? Any link?
I got the MOOG K750785 (Rear Right) and MOOG K750786 (Rear Left). I have a 2014 IS350 AWD so you might have to verify your model but I think the rear suspension is the same.
Old 08-17-21, 10:19 PM
MagStock
5th Gear

Great work
Old 11-07-23, 05:08 AM
CTHMIS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Great question for your first post...and welcome to the forum!

I don't think anyone has tried it with the 3IS to my knowledge, but I know on the RC forum that they have installed the aftermarket F Sport springs (the blue ones) for the RWD into the AWD without any perceived issues.
In theory, as the AWD sits a little higher, the spring should be technically different...also there is more weight in the front of the car (front diff. driveshafts, etc.).

Having said that, as you're now moving to an aftermarket spring, spring rates aside, might thought would be that the RWD spring should fit the AWD strut.
Given that you're probably not tracking the car, even with the added weight of the AWD, i would think it should be ok for street use.
In the past I have installed springs from RWD to AWD on 2is (250 and 350) without any problems. Now I have 2017 IS350 AWD F-sport and I am considering the same thing because in the Europe it is not possible to buy spring dedicated to AWD model.

Due to the greater weight of the AWD, the RWD springs should lower the car a bit more at the front... but regarding to information from that page AWD/RWD SPRINGS it is working in opposite way.
Specifications:
Approximate Drop (AWD):
Front: -35mm to -40mm (-1.4inch to -1.6inch)
Rear: -35mm to -40mm (-1.4inch to -1.6inch)

Approximate Drop (RWD):
Front: -45mm to -50mm (-1.8inch to -2.0inch)
Rear: -40mm to -45mm (-1.6inch to -1.8inch)

And I have one more question for AWD owners, is there any problems with wobbling after lowering the car as it was on 2is?

Last edited by CTHMIS; 11-07-23 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-07-23, 05:54 AM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CTHMIS
In the past I have installed springs from RWD to AWD on 2is (250 and 350) without any problems. Now I have 2017 IS350 AWD F-sport and I am considering the same thing because in the Europe it is not possible to buy spring dedicated to AWD model.

Due to the greater weight of the AWD, the RWD springs should lower the car a bit more at the front... but regarding to information from that page AWD/RWD SPRINGS it is working in opposite way.
Specifications:
Approximate Drop (AWD):

Approximate Drop (RWD):

And I have one more question for AWD owners, is there any problems with wobbling after lowering the car as it was on 2is?
I have installed Ark Performance RWD lowering springs on my AWD. No concerns with performance as I also tracked the car. The front still sits higher than the rear with the RWD springs on the AWD. I noticed and along with other people who installed lowering springs have a lower driver side rear than the passenger side rear.

Old 11-07-23, 05:58 AM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CTHMIS

Specifications:
Approximate Drop (AWD):

Approximate Drop (RWD):

Absolutely no wobble issues with my 15 AWD. I have RSR down springs whereas your numbers indicate super down springs (assuming you are looking at RSR)
Old 11-07-23, 06:19 AM
CTHMIS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by truu
I have installed Ark Performance RWD lowering springs on my AWD. No concerns with performance as I also tracked the car. The front still sits higher than the rear with the RWD springs on the AWD. I noticed and along with other people who installed lowering springs have a lower driver side rear than the passenger side rear.

That is a great. In that case I will choose TEIN S.TECH for RWD to lower the front a bit more.

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Absolutely no wobble issues with my 15 AWD. I have RSR down springs whereas your numbers indicate super down springs (assuming you are looking at RSR)
Thank you, I really wanted to hear this news

Last edited by CTHMIS; 11-07-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-23-23, 01:01 PM
Jamesoneal875
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Volcom
Finally finished installing the rsr half downs. Thanks for this guide and for answering my questions.

Only issue I had was torquing the inner arm bolt back. Could not get a torque wrench in there with the Invidia Q300 exhaust pipe. Felt too lazy to remove the exhaust, so just ended up tightening it with an open wrench and cheater bar.

Also, I did not have to remove the rear arm to hub bolt, I just loosened it and the spring is cleared for removal.

To put proper suspension load. Prior to jacking up vehicle, I measured from center of rim to bottom of the fender. Then when getting ready to torque everything, I just jacked the hub to the same measurements from center hub to bottom fender. It should be the same right?

All corners are even, no noise or rattles. Thank you Clublexus members.

what wheels are these?
Old 03-04-24, 04:29 PM
IS350FWill
3rd Gear

Great write up man. Will definitely be utilizing this when I lower my car.