Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help with Rear Traction Rod and lower control arminstall

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 04:24 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help with Rear Traction Rod and lower control arminstall

I'm trying to install a new rear traction rod, and I can't seem to get the new one to fit onto the hub. It seems like it's too short. I've tried to move the hub closer to the rod, but for some reason it always ends up about 1/2" too short for the bolt holes to line up. Does anyone have any pointers on how to get this rod installed? I've tried installing the rod with the front part bolted in first and then tried it with the rear bolted first, but either method still results in the same 1/2" distance that's too short. Do I need to force the hub closer to the traction rod, or disconnect the CV axle?

Also, I'm installing new rear lower control arms, and I'm having trouble getting them to fit too. These are almost like they're too long, and the part that connects to the hub keeps hitting the area where the traction rod would connect. Is there something I'm missing, or failing to see while trying to reinstall these parts? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-04-15, 09:46 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you installing adjustable ones?

oem?
Old 01-05-15, 09:04 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

The traction rods and control arms are both OEM replacements, but for some reason they don't seem to be lining up. I'm wondering if my upper control arm ball joint is shot and causing the hub to droop inwards. I've tried for 2 hours to get either part hooked up, but no dice.

I do have some adjustable lower control arms as well, but I was waiting to get new camber bolts before installing them since the PO of my car only has some generic bolts in place of the OEM ones.
Old 01-06-15, 09:13 AM
marshun
Advanced

have you tried disconnecting the lower shock mount on the arm?

when i did my bushings everything seemed to go together easily without the lower mount connected
Old 01-07-15, 12:15 PM
MotoEvo
Driver

Thanks for the advice. I tried to install the lower arm without the shock mount attached, and it's still hitting the area where the traction rod would attached to the hub. I'm going to disconnect the rear axle and see if I can adjust the angle of the hub. If that happens, I'm pretty sure I'll be needing new upper control arms since the ball joints would be bad. They do have about 190K on them, and don't seem like they've been replaced.
Old 01-08-15, 07:30 AM
marshun
Advanced

not a problem.

you might want to check that part you got. it sounds like you got the wrong one. cause it really shouldnt be that hard to put back on.

but im sure youve compared it to the old part?