Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worn Struts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 05:49 PM
DREGS3
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Worn Struts???

My 99 GS with 262k miles rides like crap. It's lower on 9 years Tanable DF and the struts were replaced about 3 years ago. When i ride over a hump or through a dip. The car seems to have little suspension travel and feels like I'm being thrown through the roof. Could the springs be worn out? This car is my daily driver but it's very uncomfortable.
Old 11-28-14, 06:46 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DREGS3
My 99 GS with 262k miles rides like crap. It's lower on 9 years Tanable DF and the struts were replaced about 3 years ago. When i ride over a hump or through a dip. The car seems to have little suspension travel and feels like I'm being thrown through the roof. Could the springs be worn out? This car is my daily driver but it's very uncomfortable.
Not understanding the background of your scenario.

Are you saying the suspension seems too stiff? so no travel and not absorbing bumps?

You say you had the struts replaced 3years ago.
Are you saying it has been uncomfortable for this whole 3 years? Or it was good 3years ago when the struts were replaced and now it is uncomfortable?
Old 11-28-14, 07:26 PM
DREGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by raytseng
Not understanding the background of your scenario.

Are you saying the suspension seems too stiff? so no travel and not absorbing bumps?

You say you had the struts replaced 3years ago.
Are you saying it has been uncomfortable for this whole 3 years? Or it was good 3years ago when the struts were replaced and now it is uncomfortable?
Yes, the suspension is stiffer with little travel and it wasn't always like this. 3 years ago I replace the springs not the struts. The struts are 9 years old. The ride has gotten worse within the past 6 months. Sorry for the confusion. My question is could my springs be worn out?
Old 11-28-14, 07:35 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

the getting stiffer over time doesn't make sense, unless the struts are now basically completely worn out, so all the travel just gets taken up immediately and you hit the bump stops or some physical barrier and that's why you have no travel..
If the springs have failed, you would notice it while car is stopped and park. The car should look lower. Does car seem lower than it should be?

Anyway struts 9years old is by far ready to replace, and especially if they were just OEM speced to begin with.
Old 11-29-14, 01:48 AM
DREGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by raytseng
the getting stiffer over time doesn't make sense, unless the struts are now basically completely worn out, so all the travel just gets taken up immediately and you hit the bump stops or some physical barrier and that's why you have no travel..
If the springs have failed, you would notice it while car is stopped and park. The car should look lower. Does car seem lower than it should be?

Anyway struts 9years old is by far ready to replace, and especially if they were just OEM speced to begin with.
The is must lower in the front than it use to be. I was a also wondering if the bump stop could be the issue. Btw my struts are only 3 years old and the springs are 9 years old.
Old 11-30-14, 07:38 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

springs dont typically wear out. are you slammed? cause if so, your shock/struts are probably toasted. really doesnt take long to bust some shocks when youre slammed
Old 12-01-14, 05:42 PM
DREGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by marshun
springs dont typically wear out. are you slammed? cause if so, your shock/struts are probably toasted. really doesnt take long to bust some shocks when youre slammed
Yes, my car is slammed. That's what I wanted to know do springs wear out over time. I'm going to just replace the struts and hopefully they resolve my issue. Thanks
Old 12-03-14, 06:19 AM
DriftOner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Struts will not affect the height of your car at all unless your spring perches snapped off