Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball Joint + Tie Rod + Sway Bar Link + (What else to replace in that area?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 11:20 AM
2GSTony
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower Ball Joint + Tie Rod + Sway Bar Link + (What else to replace in that area?)

Hello CL,

I'm doing the following maintenance below and was wondering since work is going to be done in that general area what else should I replace? Just picked up the car and it has ~160k miles on it.
  1. Timing Belt
  2. Water Pump
  3. Serpentine Belt
  4. Cam/Crankshaft Seal
  5. Front Sway Bar Link
  6. Front Outer Tie Rod End

Should I replace any of the following?;
  1. Front Lower Control Arms
  2. Front Upper Control Arms
  3. Steering Rack Bushings
  4. Sway Bushings
  5. Front Caster Arm Bushing
  6. Front Control Arm Bushing

I'm not planning to do everything all at once but I just wanted to see what else I would replace in the near future.
Old 09-19-14, 11:38 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace pretty much everything you listed with the addition of the inner tie rods and lower ball joints (which you mentioned in the title). However, if you're planning on replacing the upper and both lower control arms (#1 control arm and #2 control arm/caster arm), you won't need to replace the bushings as it'll just be a redundant fix. Also, if you're going to be replacing the front sway bar end links and bushings, you should replace the rears at the same time (in my opinion).
Old 09-19-14, 11:47 AM
2GSTony
Rookie

Would you recommend doing everything at once? Or would it be alright if I did some parts now and some parts within the next few weeks? Reason I ask is I have the front ball joints/sway bar link/ outer tie rod but recently decided I should replace other things (in the 2nd list) as well but haven't ordered the parts yet
Old 09-20-14, 12:37 PM
702GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread 2GSTony, I just picked up a 2000 GS300 with 150,000 miles.

It would be great for a sticky thread to be created with a check list of service which needs to be done to our cars at this time of their life. Right now I have lower ball joints and tie rods waiting to be installed.

I would like to get everything on the front end done at the same time, I see a lot of talk about the caster arm bushings, FIGS seem to be the way to go. Also bushings, just not sure exactly which need to be replaced.

Lets make a list.
Old 09-20-14, 01:15 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2GSTony
Would you recommend doing everything at once? Or would it be alright if I did some parts now and some parts within the next few weeks? Reason I ask is I have the front ball joints/sway bar link/ outer tie rod but recently decided I should replace other things (in the 2nd list) as well but haven't ordered the parts yet
I can only say this for myself, but I'd change everything at the same time so that I'm not disassembling and reassembling the same areas again and again. However, if you can only afford to do a bit at the time then by all means do it that way.
Old 12-08-14, 06:31 PM
tedsterb
Driver

What is the triangle bar underneath our engines called? And is there a front sway bar under there as well? Or are people just adding after market ones like in the back? Are there any pics of the undercarriage of a GS? Hard to find on Google as well.
Old 12-09-14, 10:29 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

The triangle is the subframe brace (the official Lexus name may be something different though) and yes, our cars come stock with front/rear sway bars.

Sorry, but I don't have any good pictures from underneath the car although I'm sure someone here does.