Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sagging springs ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 09:32 AM
Celtica
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging springs ??

Over time, I've noticed that my '98 SC400 with 150k seems to be sagging on the left side. I can barely get 2 fingers into the gap between the front and rear tires, but on the passenger side, I can fit four fingers between the gaps. It used to be three, so I suspect that it's getting worse. I can even tell that it's sitting lower than before just by looking at it. And my wife noticed it too. When driving on curves, the car has noticeably more body lean on the left than on the right. (It feels flatter in the curves when leaning on the right). About 3 months ago, My dad got new struts for it and they used some KYB OEM type replacements. I would have liked to get something stiffer, but they wouldn't have been able to get them in time before I had to get back home, plus I didn't want to be some ungrateful son and add extra expense to my Dad since he was so gracious to pay for it. Anyway, If I have to replace the springs, I though I might as well get some Eibachs or the Tanabe springs that only lower the car about 1.2 inches and are supposed to be only 5% stiffer than stock. It was also leaning before the new struts, so that didn't seem to level the car out like I thought it would, hence why I suspect the springs although I've been reading some other posts and some folks seem to still have the sag even after replacing the springs too, although some folks seem to be able to fix it with new springs. I CANNOT AFFORD COILOVERS, so please do not recommend them, they are not on option for me. Do you think the recently replaced struts are strong enough for such a mild drop with only 5% more stiffness and secondly, should it be something else that is causing my car to sag on the left ? It's really bugging me. If this keeps up, I fear it may start to rub the front tire. BTW, I'm not a heavy guy, so I don't think I'm weighing the car down that much, although my dad is somewhat heavy set and he had the car for 3 years before me and who knows how big the owner before him might have been.. Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Celtica; 07-23-14 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 11:08 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I would probably start with posting a WTB in the classifieds for used stock springs. You should be able to find a set in good shape for pretty cheap, with lots of people ditching them in favor of aftermarket suspension. Rent a spring compressor from AutoZone and swap them over yourself if you've got the skills to do so (not a knock, I'm borderline myself!), and you've got a very inexpensive test that'll most likely eliminate the problem and leave you with that cushy stock feel.
Old 07-23-14, 12:34 PM
Celtica
Driver

Thank you t2d2. To be honest, the stock feel seems a little TOO cushy for my tastes, I was hoping to stiffen it just a tad without making the ride jarring. More like firm, but smooth so it would still have a GT like feel and take the curvy roads up here a bit better. ( I live in the mountains)

Last edited by Celtica; 07-23-14 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-23-14, 12:53 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Understandable. You might want to see if you can find someone nearby with aftermarket suspension to feel the difference first hand. There's usually a fairly big trade-off of ride comfort for handling improvement, with it split pretty much 50/50 which is preferable.
Old 07-23-14, 01:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

ITs actually quite normal for these cars to lean when you do the springs but it shouldn't be that bad.
something about they made the control arms for RHD and that is where the shock/spring sits. the stock springs are not the same length in the front side to side to level this out, so when you go aftermarket springs they are all the same length and you get a little lean, the amount well lets just say it varies, I have a little bit as well.

so as much as you don't want to hear it, the answer is coilovers, or use stock springs, or you can do the mod that was on here a little while back where they weld washers to the drivers side control arm to space up the shock/spring a touch and that can also level the car out.

read here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...p-problem.html
Old 07-23-14, 02:17 PM
Celtica
Driver

Cool ! I'll have to look into that. it even mentions the car turning more level too. The poster noted that his car leaned more on the drivers side in the turns just like mine does.. Thank you Ali SC3 !