Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacing sheered Rear Camber Bolt SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 10:28 AM
MrShaunC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing sheered Rear Camber Bolt SC400

I took my 1992 SC400 to the shop today for a 4 wheel alignment & they managed to sheer the rear camber bolt. I have contacted Lexus dealerships, Lordco, Napa, etc & I can't find anyone who has an OEM, or even aftermarket type replacement Camber bolt.

I currently have 32 way MEgan Coilovers, and needed an alignment after adjusting the ride height up 3/4"

Does anyone know where else I can look for a replacement? The shop says they may be able to build one, but I will be looking at big bucks for a possibly mickey mouse solution.

Are the Supra camber bolts compatible with the SC400?
Old 07-22-14, 11:54 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

shouldn't the alignment shop cover the cost if they broke the bolt?
I see that the sell the bolt on ebay
or hit up aliga on here. he has scs he parts out. im sure he has the bolt
Old 07-22-14, 12:49 PM
MrShaunC
Driver School Candidate

My understanding is that it was quite rusted, and was going to fail soon anyways. I am going to take a look at it before I pay them for the fabricated one. If it looks like they just hammered on it without restraint then I am going to be pretty hesitant to pay for something they broke. Or at the very least cover material costs only.

All I could find on ebay are these, but I will have to measure the broken one to see fi the size is the same:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2X-SS-REPLACE...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
Old 07-22-14, 05:27 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
shouldn't the alignment shop cover the cost if they broke the bolt?
I see that the sell the bolt on ebay
or hit up aliga on here. he has scs he parts out. im sure he has the bolt
The bolts break over time because they get stretched. It isn't necessarily the shop's fault that it broke. I've had it snap a few times on other cars I've owned.

You should be able to buy this bolt from the dealer. It'll be special order and might take a few days, but you can buy it.

If it's the cam bolt on the rear number 2 LCA (the one the shock will attach to) then the part numbers are:
4819024030 - bolt
4819850011 - washer
9020114020 - locking washer
9017014012 - nut
Old 07-22-14, 06:18 PM
MrShaunC
Driver School Candidate

Well I went to the shop to check it out. They say the camber adjustment bolt is totally seized inside the bushing sleeve & the lower control arm is going to have to be replaced. There are 2 per side, but I figure instead of just doing 1, I will go with an aftermarket kit like this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/sc300-sc400-s...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
Which should negate the need for the camber adjustment bolt, right?

I will also be getting a new set of bushings.
I assume this is all I will need, except a new normal bolt to replace the camber adjusting bolt (which the shop can supply).

It's #7 here that they say likely should be replaced. That above kit comes with #12 as well.
http://www.mileoneparts.com/media/im.../8/8902490.gif

Blkexcoupe: I will also call the dealer with those part numbers & find the cost & availability before I go aftermarket. Thank you so much for those. Nothing better than to know the part numbers!
Do you know the part number for the #2 LCA as well?

Last edited by MrShaunC; 07-22-14 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 06:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Just so you know the LCA #2 would be arm number 8 in your diagram, and the part numbers for I gave you in the post above are for the cam bolt to that arm, so 10 and 11.

The part number for LCA #2 is:
4873030060 - right hand
4874030070 - left hand

I would still use the stock cam type of bolt. I wouldn't use a normal bolt. It'll make alignments in the future difficult.
Old 07-22-14, 07:40 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres a guy on ebay that sells aluminum camber bolt sleeves. The steel ones ALWAYS seize on these cars. Some of the OEM sleeves on these cars are actually aluminum but some are steel.
Old 07-23-14, 08:05 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Theres a guy on ebay that sells aluminum camber bolt sleeves. The steel ones ALWAYS seize on these cars. Some of the OEM sleeves on these cars are actually aluminum but some are steel.
Be wary of the aluminum camber bolt sleeves...or any aluminum touching steel due to galvanic corrosion between aluminum and steel. Stay with the steel sleeves and use copper anti-seize on the inside of the sleeve. Copper doesn't react with steel, nor does it react with aluminum so you are safe. The other part is the aluminum rotating on the bolt will wear that sleeve out quickly, especially in the dirty environment they work in.
Old 07-23-14, 08:27 AM
MrShaunC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Be wary of the aluminum camber bolt sleeves...or any aluminum touching steel due to galvanic corrosion between aluminum and steel. Stay with the steel sleeves and use copper anti-seize on the inside of the sleeve. Copper doesn't react with steel, nor does it react with aluminum so you are safe. The other part is the aluminum rotating on the bolt will wear that sleeve out quickly, especially in the dirty environment they work in.
I couldn't find anyone selling camber bolt sleeves for the SC400 of any kind.

The best #2LCA price I could find was Lexus of Atlanta, $177US ea plus shipping.

I am swinging by the shop today to see what kind of state the bolt/LCA is in.
Old 07-23-14, 02:15 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Really???

The stock front LCA arm, front bushing, actually uses an aluminum sleeve stock on all SC's. I'm not aware of anyone having had one freeze up on them nor premature wear of the sleeves themselves.
It's the dam rear arm of that front LCA where Lexus used the steel sleeve that always rusts and freezes.
Old 07-23-14, 05:36 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sadly yes. To the point of working on a spherical replacement to hopefully remove the binding if and when this happens again.

My sti's brembo brakes have the same issue and are known to pull the threads out of the caliper when removing the bolts.