Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers vs. springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
still have camber problems though? or has daizen already released the fix? the only reason i have delayed the dropping of my car was because the cost to replace the tires on my car is ridiculous.
no the camber kit isn't out yet. i will know when it comes out though, i can't wait too
Old 03-11-04, 03:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
no the camber kit isn't out yet. i will know when it comes out though, i can't wait too
Without the camber kit, how is the tire wear for you guys with the Tein Coilovers adjusted to about a finger width gap front and rear?

This is concerning me as I am about to install mine and I would love to know what to expect!

I would love to get this "camber kit" too when it comes out.
Old 03-11-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
Without the camber kit, how is the tire wear for you guys with the Tein Coilovers adjusted to about a finger width gap front and rear?

This is concerning me as I am about to install mine and I would love to know what to expect!

I would love to get this "camber kit" too when it comes out.
well surprisingly, on my old so3, yoko avs, the wear was very even! eventually at the end the inside started to wear out faster but the ouside was wearing out too. i think i got like 20k on the avs, not bad!
Old 03-31-04, 02:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You guys have put some good miles on these set-up's and the feedback posted here is invaluable. I wanted to relay my thanks to this discussion which provided lots of fabulous info in helping me make my decision.

TM Engineering did the install of some HD Bilsteins and Eibach pro Kit springs on Friday and I am very pleased with the ride. If 10 was factory, it is about an 8 now and I enjoy having the road feel. I don't have any pics yet (film camera) the front wheels are equal to the fender well, maybe 1/2-1 finger space and the rear about 1.5 finger space. The car looks soooo much better now.

Now to find some wheels.
Old 04-14-04, 04:57 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I didn't take the advice of other members to go with coil/overs and now look at me, 300 miles on my espelirs and im getting teins.......
Old 04-14-04, 06:17 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Alright, I didn't take the advice of other members to go with coil/overs and now look at me, 300 miles on my espelirs and im getting teins.......
That's why I'm just going to wait. My car will be sitting on the new 18s until I can get the teins. Gonna try to do it right the first time.
Old 04-14-04, 06:24 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, just wait and look in the classifides, I picked up a used set of flex's dirt cheap with only 5k miles.

Coils are definitely the way to go. I probably wouldve been happy with the drop on the espelirs but my system weighs the back end down so much its lower in the rear.
Old 04-14-04, 06:45 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

That's some serious sounds
Old 04-14-04, 09:09 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah no kidding, Some kinda loud too, really too much bass, it flexes the whole back plate when the bass hits hard.
Old 04-14-04, 04:50 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Yeah no kidding, Some kinda loud too, really too much bass, it flexes the whole back plate when the bass hits hard.

ok guys now from a lowering aspect most people are going with 20" rims how low inch wise can you go with the coilovers ???
Old 04-14-04, 05:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by lexusondubs
ok guys now from a lowering aspect most people are going with 20" rims how low inch wise can you go with the coilovers ???
With coils its a little harder to say since its only rated at the max drop, it doesnt have marker on ther perch or threads that say 1", 2", etc etc. So most of us use the finger method, the less fingers, the lower you are!

I'm at .5 finger in the front (meaning you cant put your finger straight in, you have to put it in at an angle) and no finger in the rear! I like it low! LOL

If I had to guess i would say its about 2.5" drop or so?
Old 04-14-04, 05:18 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by DGOT20s
With coils its a little harder to say since its only rated at the max drop, it doesnt have marker on ther perch or threads that say 1", 2", etc etc. So most of us use the finger method, the less fingers, the lower you are!

I'm at .5 finger in the front (meaning you cant put your finger straight in, you have to put it in at an angle) and no finger in the rear! I like it low! LOL

If I had to guess i would say its about 2.5" drop or so?

wow and it does not rub with the 20's what about bouncing is it ruff ride ???
Old 04-14-04, 05:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

wow and it does not rub with the 20's what about bouncing is it ruff ride ???
I have not had my fenders rolled yet, so I have to be VERY careful when the wheel is turned right, and I'm going up a driveway (the tire will grab the fender lip).I took those black fender tabs off in the front Its also grazing the top of the fender but not too bad. The ride is fine, its not bouncy with the coilvoers, on rough roads (city streets) it is stiff though.

I raised it up to a 1.5finger front and 1 finger rear gap and I swear i hated the damn look of it, I barely even liked the car at that height!! LOL My boy said I was crazy!
Old 04-14-04, 05:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally posted by DGOT20s
I have not had my fenders rolled yet, so I have to be VERY careful when the wheel is turned right, and I'm going up a driveway (the tire will grab the fender lip).I took those black fender tabs off in the front Its also grazing the top of the fender but not too bad. The ride is fine, its not bouncy with the coilvoers, on rough roads (city streets) it is stiff though.

I raised it up to a 1.5finger front and 1 finger rear gap and I swear i hated the damn look of it, I barely even liked the car at that height!! LOL My boy said I was crazy!

no i think that was a smart thing to do cause you dont want to damage your fenders can i ask you i want to install eibach pro springs how many fingers will i have lowering wise with the 20"s thanks shawn
Old 04-14-04, 05:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

no i think that was a smart thing to do cause you dont want to damage your fenders can i ask you i want to install eibach pro springs how many fingers will i have lowering wise with the 20"s thanks shawn
You will probably have something like 1.5-2 fingers in the front and about half that in the rear. Just my humble opinion, with the large wheels the car needs to go lower to give it the proper sporty stance. Thats just me though, do what you like!

Quick Reply: coilovers vs. springs/shocks