Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My options for lowering my car, Help!

Old 08-20-14, 09:57 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So I'm back and still no drop..

Should I order the coil overs and get them professionally installed and then go from there?

Will I need wheel spacers on my front wheels? they are kinda tucked in a little bit.

What's the install price on Megan Coilovers?
Old 08-20-14, 04:35 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers are easy to install as long you're somewhat mechanically inclined, just read up on the coilover install threads and you'll be good to go. In regards to spaces and wheel fitment, we need more information on the wheel in regards to the offset. On my car I'm currently slightly tucking an 18x8.5 +28 with no issue and no roll.
Old 08-22-14, 10:59 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

I've included much more helpful information in the top of my post.

Can you help me out more with the information I provided?

Last edited by Shrugy; 08-22-14 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 02:06 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

you dont need spacers.

it will cost about $20-40 bucks a side, depending on the shop.

install the coils yourself, now is a good chance to learn. have someone there whose mechanically inclined.
Old 08-22-14, 03:48 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

brand new EZ streets are 600, there's your answer. installing coils is really simple, just need a spring compressor thing that's all.
Old 08-22-14, 08:41 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

The problem is that I don't have the equipment available to do it myself.

I think I'm just gonna get New EZ Streets.
Old 08-22-14, 11:07 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shrugy
The problem is that I don't have the equipment available to do it myself.

I think I'm just gonna get New EZ Streets.
go to autozone, they have "FREE" tool lending. you pay the amount the tool costs, then bring it back and get your money back in cash. that's what i did for the O2 sensor tool. and i just checked they have spring compressors. good luck! and they have sockets and wrenches if you don't have those either.
Old 08-23-14, 11:14 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
go to autozone, they have "FREE" tool lending. you pay the amount the tool costs, then bring it back and get your money back in cash. that's what i did for the O2 sensor tool. and i just checked they have spring compressors. good luck! and they have sockets and wrenches if you don't have those either.
I've got sockets and wrenches readily available.

I'm just concerned about not properly installing them, because if I screw up, its not gonna be a fun day for me!

But I also don't wanna fork out 500$ to install them.
Old 08-23-14, 12:45 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shrugy
I've got sockets and wrenches readily available.

I'm just concerned about not properly installing them, because if I screw up, its not gonna be a fun day for me!

But I also don't wanna fork out 500$ to install them.
yea 500 for an install is ridiculous. it's really hard to mess up. i mean there's only one way the coilovers can go in and you can't put the rear ones in the front and vice versa. i'm pretty sure you don't even need a spring compressor for the SC
Old 08-23-14, 08:42 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad told me the same thing when I put staggered wheels and coil overs on my car Did yours give you crap for not being able to 4-corner rotate, also?

Your wheels aren't that wide and offsets aren't that low that it should be an issue. My wheels are 18x9/10, +24/22 respectively and I wear the same size tires.

Just have a shop roll your fenders for you. It'll be good even if you don't need it. You'll be ready for if/when you decide to go with a more aggressive set of wheels.

FWIW, here's the drop on mine:

My tires only rub on VERY big bumps or when driveways are heavily sloped. It's very rare.

FWIW, I'm about to list my TEIN SS coilovers for sale. I'm switching to a Supra KYB G2/Eibach set up for a more stock-like ride. The Teins feel great on good to decent roads, but are too stiff for driving around metro ATL. I'm also looking to trade the wheels on my car for a set of polished Supra TT wheels. See my theme, here? After buying a bike and a Porsche, I can handle having the Lexus be a comfy car again
Old 08-23-14, 09:04 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

A spring compressor is not really necessary, it can make the job easier but you can buy one at harbor freight for around $10. Just read the coilover install threads and you'll be fine.
Old 08-25-14, 12:10 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
My dad told me the same thing when I put staggered wheels and coil overs on my car Did yours give you crap for not being able to 4-corner rotate, also?

Your wheels aren't that wide and offsets aren't that low that it should be an issue. My wheels are 18x9/10, +24/22 respectively and I wear the same size tires.

Just have a shop roll your fenders for you. It'll be good even if you don't need it. You'll be ready for if/when you decide to go with a more aggressive set of wheels.

FWIW, here's the drop on mine:

My tires only rub on VERY big bumps or when driveways are heavily sloped. It's very rare.

FWIW, I'm about to list my TEIN SS coilovers for sale. I'm switching to a Supra KYB G2/Eibach set up for a more stock-like ride. The Teins feel great on good to decent roads, but are too stiff for driving around metro ATL. I'm also looking to trade the wheels on my car for a set of polished Supra TT wheels. See my theme, here? After buying a bike and a Porsche, I can handle having the Lexus be a comfy car again
Hahah our Dads sound like two peas in pods!

I plan to get a set of Megan Coilovers but I'm not sure If I wanna fork out 700$ to get a crappy ride?

Is it essential I get my fenders rolled?

Are spacers not needed?

Will my wheels tuck under the fender?

And when I hit bumps, will my bushing still squeak?
Old 08-25-14, 12:17 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Spacers are dependent on your preference.

I haven't ridden in a car with Megans, so I can't comment on the ride. Like I said, with mine, I only have issues on really rough roads. Everywhere else, they're fine.

I don't think you NEED to roll your fenders, but I would recommend that you go ahead and do it. It will definitely help keep your dad from being able to say "told ya so."

Your wheels will only tuck if you set your height that low. There's no need to tuck. Keep a finger width's gap around all four corners.

The bushings depend on their condition. I think you're more likely to head clunking and rattling than squeaks on OEM rubber bushings. I replaced most of mine with polyurethane and get a squeak here and there. I just shoot them with some lube whenever I'm under the car and it's no real problem.
Old 08-25-14, 01:57 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Spacers are dependent on your preference.

I haven't ridden in a car with Megans, so I can't comment on the ride. Like I said, with mine, I only have issues on really rough roads. Everywhere else, they're fine.

I don't think you NEED to roll your fenders, but I would recommend that you go ahead and do it. It will definitely help keep your dad from being able to say "told ya so."

Your wheels will only tuck if you set your height that low. There's no need to tuck. Keep a finger width's gap around all four corners.

The bushings depend on their condition. I think you're more likely to head clunking and rattling than squeaks on OEM rubber bushings. I replaced most of mine with polyurethane and get a squeak here and there. I just shoot them with some lube whenever I'm under the car and it's no real problem.
I will go ahead and do the finger gap all around, but I'll also be rolling the fenders to compensate for my lowering.

What does it normally cost for fender rolling?
Old 08-25-14, 02:47 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I bought a roller for $150. Check your local craigslist or contact body shops. Lots of people will buy them to rent them, like I did. I charge $150 up front and return $100 when you bring it back to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My options for lowering my car, Help!