Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My options for lowering my car, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 02:24 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My options for lowering my car, Help!

My dad tells me I have no room to lower my car because my rear tires being staggered.

Rear Tire Specs: 265/35ZR18 18x9.5 +35 Offset

Front Tire Specs: 245/40ZR18 18x8 +40 Offset

Here are pictures, and as you see it would look very good with a solid drop on my car.

Would Megan EZ Street Coilovers fit well, and offer me a good platform to lower my car a very good amount?

Please post thoughts, or products of what I can use to help me get a better look out of my car!

Thank you!

My options for lowering my car, Help!-otqirnf.jpg
My options for lowering my car, Help!-m4aj76l.jpg

Last edited by Shrugy; 08-22-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 04:02 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres literally so many options man. Its really gonna end up depending on what type of budget you have, then from there you can boil it down to a handful of options, then from there decide on what type of ride (comfort/sport/street) you want.

But yes, you have plenty of room to play with. Coilovers will allow you to adjust the height in case your wide tires do end up rubbing.
Old 01-14-14, 04:46 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Well I was looking into like cutting the springs. From what I have read, this is a ghetto way to do it and can be dangerous, as well as a BIG NO NO. Is this true?

I am on a 300-600$ Budget.

I just dont want my rear tires rubbing :/
Old 01-14-14, 06:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely DONT cut your springs. You drive a Lexus not a Honda, and yes it can be dangerous.

With that low of a budget you're looking at lowering springs, which wont give you much of a drop. Plus they're not known for giving you the best ride quality (excessive bounciness, harshness, etc).
For $800 (or $600, I cant remember) you're looking at a new set of Megan coilovers, which have good reviews for a budget street coilover. They came with my car and I dont have experience with other coilovers, and I have not adjusted them, so I cant give an accurate personal review of them. But as far as my expierience with coilovers in other vehicles go, I'd rate these as "meh" - a little bouncy for my liking.
I believe the gixxer_drew Bilstien Hypercoil (search it and reach the whole thread) setup runs about $700 to piece together and gets excellent reviews as a street/sport suspension setup.
The BC-BR Type coils (sold by a forum vendor - Circuit Motorsports?) get good reviews as a budget street coilover as well, plus the nice thing about them is that you can order custom spring rates. I believe these go for around $700?
Other than that you're looking at used coilovers in the classifieds. I've seen a number of Megans and even Tiens (which are higher end coilovers) up for sale in the past few months for $400-700. You always run the risk of buying an abused set though, best to get some feedback about the seller.
I believe the Tein Basics are regarded as the best bang for you buck, and they run for about $1000? The prices go up from here for new coils.

Hope that gives you some options. Before jumping into any mods on your car (which looks really nice btw) make sure you do your research on the forum first. You dont want to ruin your perfectly good ride with some bad decision mods while there are always perfectly affordable options available at the expense of some reading & research
Old 01-14-14, 07:25 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Thank you so much! Yea my car has come a long way, and since this photo I have gotten my windows tinted, side markers, tail lights, etc.

I think my best option is to just save up and get a set of either used with VERY good seller feedback,and a good looking product, or just get a set of new ones.

Springs offer the risk of dropping me too low, and then my precious Enkei wheels will have some rubbing going on. Thank you very much, and you have cleared up some ideas for me.

Wait and save for a quality product, don't cut corners.

Thank you scENFORCER
Old 01-14-14, 07:50 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eibach springs do not lower your car much, and the ride quality is great.

If you want coilovers that wont break the bank, Megan EZ Street's (aka Megan Blue's). I installed a set not too long ago on an SC with wheel specs similar to yours, and the owner is happy, needed a very slight fender roll, and has no rubbing issues.
Old 01-14-14, 07:59 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For springs Espelir springs give you the best drop there is also Supra TT springs and struts that drop the SC a nice amount. I used to have some Espelir springs they were awesome, dropped it 2 inches all around and it made a nice noticeable difference but not too low. If you want a drop that isn't way low these 2 springs i recommend.
Old 01-15-14, 07:51 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Tanabe NF210's. They're aroung $200. Not a crazy drop, but it's nice. The ride is marvelous though.
Old 01-15-14, 10:15 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Espelir springs are awesome but usually require a harness mod up front. They are an awesome drop. Tanabe NF210s are a very minor drop that rarely require any additional work and are very softly sprung.

My vote? Gixxer_drew! I preach that like it's a religion. For less than $1000, you get one of the best suspension setups you can buy for under $2500. They can ride like OEM, or they can corner like an AST or Koni sprung monster. It's entirely up to you.
Old 01-15-14, 11:37 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should look into the supra spring/shocks.
the drop that people say they get would be perfect for your car.
If I remember right people say about an 1-2" drop if I remember correctly
Old 01-15-14, 06:44 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

I am considering the option mentioned above for the Megan EZ Street's because then when I switch my winter wheels which are a different height, I can get the drop on them as well perfect for my car

Now is this an option I can look into getting used??
Old 01-15-14, 08:02 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
you should look into the supra spring/shocks.
the drop that people say they get would be perfect for your car.
If I remember right people say about an 1-2" drop if I remember correctly
Yep, here's mine on Supra Bilstein struts and Eibach lowering springs. I'd recommend this for anyone that wants the stock ride quality but an obvious drop all around. It'll only cost ya about $450 new or you could get lucky and find a used set for less.

On a side note my wheel setup is similar to yours, 18x9.5 / 8.5 with 5mm spacers all around. I only rub on rough hits like pot holes

Last edited by Kris9884; 01-15-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 09:02 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4hunnit
I like my Tanabe NF210's. They're aroung $200. Not a crazy drop, but it's nice. The ride is marvelous though.
you talked me into them!
Old 01-16-14, 12:25 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Yep, here's mine on Supra Bilstein struts and Eibach lowering springs. I'd recommend this for anyone that wants the stock ride quality but an obvious drop all around. It'll only cost ya about $450 new or you could get lucky and find a used set for less.

On a side note my wheel setup is similar to yours, 18x9.5 / 8.5 with 5mm spacers all around. I only rub on rough hits like pot holes

Wow, I like these results

I will have to consider these as well, but what if it ends up dropping my car too low, to the point where my wheel rubs on my fender or something?
Old 01-16-14, 01:30 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then you go get your fenders rolled. its not that expensive to do.

but if you just use lowering springs, then sooner than later you will be ripping your springs and shocks back out to replace your blown shock that blew from dropping it.

it is in your best option to go supra setup. afterall it was engineers who designed that for a supra. a supra! they are rather good handling cars!

Quick Reply: My options for lowering my car, Help!