Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Chopping an IS300 for autocross / Ricer-mobile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 11:30 PM
2Poor2Buy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Chopping an IS300 for autocross / Ricer-mobile?

Okay, chalk this up to a crazy whim to consider... but then again, the theory seems plausible.

You may know that a guy successfully chopped up a SC400 to fit under a classic Volvo body. He shortened the wheelbase quite a bit, by chopping the floor and seam welding it back together. He did a great deal of custom fabrication and it took him two years.

In considering how to build my next car, with a focus on autocross, I'd like to go Lexus or RWD Toyota. But none even placed in the 2012 SCCA SOLOII National Finals. If you think the idea is stupid, please don't clog the thread with naysaying or flames.

How to make a Lexus win SCCA SOLO II, or if my idea puts it into an open class that it can't win, at least put in some impressive times, much faster than other Lexuses (Lexi?).

Here's a cheap idea, albeit only street legal in California with a manual transmission, with the original 2JZ-GE VVTi 2002+:
Buy a salvage title IS300 2002+, if out of a smog state, older is okay because you can swap in a manual tranny and any engine.
Since doing the rest of this, get rid of the heavy seats and all the luxury you can spare.
Chop 10-12" off the wheelbase of an IS300 5-speed floor! That would be the footspace for the backseat, an equal amount from the roof but further back so it can be made to slope evenly, install a rollbar at the backseat, weld the rear door skins to the unibody, and use any choice of rear-side window design. The sheetmetal roof and sides could also be done by using donor Celica(s), even including a hatchback or solid body that appears to be a hatchback. Torsional rigidity and a clean look are the goals, might even reduce the overhang of the trunk.
(custom single piece driveshaft, shorten plumbing & exhaust, move as much weight to the rear as possible.)
* This has several effects: it effectively moves the engine weight toward the rear, shorter wheelbase increases turning force, it may reduce weight (though that could be a wash considering that a rollbar would be added with supports toward the rear). It also makes the only IS300 Coupe or Hatchback in existence! On the downside, it increases "hop" but there'd be no back passengers to notice (your cargo may lift off the floor in the rear on certain bumps)
2. Only after fully tested, upgrade the power. Outside of California, add a turbo system or swap to the 2GR-FSE 3.5L V6, which lightens the front and additionally moves the weight to the rear. (the 2UR-GSE is heavy, so doesn't match this plan) This should be significantly lighter than the newer IS350 convertible, more nimble, and significantly cheaper.

Body options include making it appear to be a replacement model Supra by using junkyard Celica components.

Unfortunately (for car projects) I live in California, and the closest I could come to this is buying a 92-94 SC300 (which is allowed to have a manual transmission per smog because it was an option), chopping it's wheelbase, and then installing same year or newer 2JZ-GTE with all the legal smog equipment and control equipment - which is cost prohibitive. If an automatic is used, I could use an SC400 and upgrade the torque converter, or maybe use a late model automatic.

I can't do it, but maybe one of you can!
Old 09-10-13, 04:22 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone already thought a little more ahead of you... instead of shortening the body, they used a 4g63 engine out of a DSM, installed it partially under the dash even - the front of the engine is behind the front "axle" if you will and it is a shorter engine than the 2JZ as well, so, center of gravity is lower and farther back, from the outside, it looks stockish even...
Old 09-16-13, 07:51 AM
2Poor2Buy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a viable option for autocross, if the 4G63 is much lighter when turbo and intercooler are added to the weight equation. I have to comply with this:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresource...uidelines.html
Which is a brief of a longer law, and says (at a minimum) the replacement engine must be same or newer, and of greater emissions restrictions. (I thought it also said the engine must be larger, but not in this brief).
I don't know if a later model USDM engine can be claimed to go in the IS300, but the Lancer Evolution looks like a viable option. But why not just use that whole car? At least it would be easier than getting the IS300 modified through CA smog.

That's why I asked this rather bizarre question:
Take what's good about the IS300 (drivetrain, suspension), lose the backseats and trunk, chop it shorter to increase track to wheelbase ratio, and skin the back-end with whatever is easiest to lighten the car but retain chassis stiffness.

The 4G63 (turbo or not) would be a good choice for a smog exempt (actually merely not smog checked unless cited by an officer) classic car here in CA or the many places that have adopted the same laws.