Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacing suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 03:40 PM
twitchee2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing suspension

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and it seems like you have a very smart group of people here. I frequent a 4Runner forum quite often. My dad has a 1998 GS 400 that is in dire need of some new suspension so I am looking for some advice.

The car:
98 GS 400
210k on the clock
completely stock

Goals:
Just want to replace the shocks with OEM replacements, do not want to lower it or do any mods. The car is a DD.

I have been doing some research here on the forums and I think the KYB GR-2's is what I need. Should I replace the springs at the same time? Also, I see Rock Auto calls these struts. Do I need any thing else do go with it? Top plates/strut mounts?

I am going to continue reading the threads here but please let me know if there any threads in particular that may answer theses questions for me already.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-13, 04:03 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think the springs are alright as its usually the shocks that need replacement. KYB is good to go with although id chech the LBJ, outer tie rod, inner tie rods, steering rack bushings, sway bar bushings and UCA for replacement too. If you plan to do all of the work yourself you can actually order half of those parts off of Rock Auto for under $200 and would be good to take care of it all.
Old 08-11-13, 04:17 PM
twitchee2
Driver School Candidate

awesome, thanks. I know the LBJs and LCAs have been replaced. Looks like you guys have the same issues with the LBJs as the 4runners do. I will look at the other bushings as well. they are always cheap and easy to replace.
Old 08-11-13, 04:52 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twitchee2
awesome, thanks. I know the LBJs and LCAs have been replaced. Looks like you guys have the same issues with the LBJs as the 4runners do. I will look at the other bushings as well. they are always cheap and easy to replace.
Sweet good luck man! Youll love the GS.
Old 08-11-13, 05:02 PM
twitchee2
Driver School Candidate

yeah, my dad bought this care with 3,500 miles on it. It been a great car and it mechanically sound.

I just poked my head under it real quick. all the bushings look ok. I am going to replace the sway bar bushings just because they are so easy to do and ill be right there. steering rack appears to be solid, it doesnt move like my 4runner rack did before I replaced the bushings on it.

Other than the shocks, do I need anything like the strut mounts or can all the hardware be removed and re-used?

Here is the list of parts im am going to get so far:
KYB GR-2
sway bar bushings front and rear
shock bellows
Old 08-11-13, 05:52 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twitchee2
yeah, my dad bought this care with 3,500 miles on it. It been a great car and it mechanically sound.

I just poked my head under it real quick. all the bushings look ok. I am going to replace the sway bar bushings just because they are so easy to do and ill be right there. steering rack appears to be solid, it doesnt move like my 4runner rack did before I replaced the bushings on it.

Other than the shocks, do I need anything like the strut mounts or can all the hardware be removed and re-used?

Here is the list of parts im am going to get so far:
KYB GR-2
sway bar bushings front and rear
shock bellows
Nope all hardware can be reused and even if your steering rack bushings 'look' solid i'd still replace them. Fairly cheap replacement as you can buy them from Sewell Lexus for about $50 with the ClubLexus discount. You really won't see any play in the bushings until you actually take them out and compare them to new ones. You'll be surprised how weak they actually are.