Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to make our second gen GS rides smoother?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 12:09 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make our second gen GS rides smoother?

I got a 99 GS 400 with 146K miles on it. I'm all about riding smooth, my car is stock. Just wanna know how to improve the ride quality and make it smooth like the car is new.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-04-12, 06:23 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

L-tuned springs & 2003 Sportdesign springs, very comfortable, 1" drop.
Old 07-04-12, 07:42 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Our cars have a reputation for a very smooth ride.

If yours is not, I would have the suspension looked at to see what might be worn out.

Also, with your mileage the factory dampers probably could use replacement by now.

BayArea
Old 07-04-12, 08:29 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

If your riding on original bushings, struts and shocks then its time to start replacing items, u don't even have to go aftermarket.. Thats if u want to mod, but if your keeping it stock form then Sewell Lexus had great deals on the ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc... KYB, shocks and struts are good but if want real smoothness than coilovers is your best bet.. Its all want you can spend and afford, I'm pretty sure replacing the suspension with stock parts that you will notice a difference..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html
Old 07-05-12, 11:35 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
If your riding on original bushings, struts and shocks then its time to start replacing items, u don't even have to go aftermarket.. Thats if u want to mod, but if your keeping it stock form then Sewell Lexus had great deals on the ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc... KYB, shocks and struts are good but if want real smoothness than coilovers is your best bet.. Its all want you can spend and afford, I'm pretty sure replacing the suspension with stock parts that you will notice a difference..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...and-facts.html
Thanks for taking time to post.

My car has so many miles on it I'm keeping it stock. So, if I go with oem or such as KYB, Bilstein struts, shocks would it makes the car smooth. Are coilovers such as Tein etc.. Make the car smoother than oem struts and shocks? I have never experience with any GS's on coilovers.
Old 07-06-12, 07:01 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Coilovers have the ability to adjust to your driving style. Yes they can be smoother as stock but harder than stock if thats what you want.. Tein, Tanabe, BC, Megan, etc are all good quality coilovers.. If your on a budget even getting just new struts and shocks and maybe a softer spring will help also.

With a lot of miles anything you will replace will benefit the ride quality. You can use OEM stuff or go to Rockauto.com and see what they have.. They have great prices and many members have used them
Old 07-06-12, 08:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

What wheels do you have? Put OEM 16" wheels on the car, they have max sidewall and very cushy.

IMO very seldom are you going to find coilovers to be smoother than OEM other than maybe Tein CS
Old 07-06-12, 08:53 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
What wheels do you have? Put OEM 16" wheels on the car, they have max sidewall and very cushy.

IMO very seldom are you going to find coilovers to be smoother than OEM other than maybe Tein CS
This is the best advise here. Good quality tires that have been balanced properly make a world of difference.
Old 07-06-12, 09:50 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Dave on this one. Tein Comfort Sport CST is definitely the way to go for the most comfortable coilovers. Tom's Advox coilovers are also great but hard to come by. If you just want a OE style shock and spring I've used KYB with Tein S.Tech and it was noticeably firmer. Then I switched to Tanabe DF210 and was very. pleased but these also have the lowest drop of all aftermarket springs. If you just want it a bit lower and stock ride comform then go with the OEM Sport Design springs or H&R or Eibach
Old 07-06-12, 10:30 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a smooth ride and comfort are paramount to you over looks, don't lower your car. Just replace the OEM wheels/tires/suspension parts as they age.
Old 07-06-12, 01:26 PM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, the more you stick to stock, the smoother the ride will be. Just lowering springs can make your quite a bit harder.
Old 07-06-12, 11:43 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

tein CST coilovers are defintely smooth , in my case TOO smooth and bouncy for my tastes
Old 07-07-12, 08:41 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want smooth ride staying with OEM struts/shocks and new bushings is probably the way to go. Remember also, a tire's sidewall is just a big rubber spring. So, if you go with a taller sidewall you get more cushion. I'm not talking grandpa's whitewalls here, just a one-size taller and perhaps a luxury-car tire instead of a performance tire, something like a Pilot Primacy.
Old 07-07-12, 03:52 PM
FASTEDDY
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2gs at 77k and it now has 120k. How can I tell if my suspension has gone bad or needs to be replaced?
Old 07-07-12, 11:18 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

Thanks for taking time to reply.

I'm running on OEM 17" chrome wheels. My tires are 225/45R17 91H rated.
Recently, I've replaced my upper control arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar bushings and steering rack bushings. I believe my shocks, struts, and springs are OEM since 1999. My car now has 147K miles. The car is stock, I'm thinking about getting all the OEM shocks, struts.

Quick Reply: How to make our second gen GS rides smoother?