Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Street Flex - DANGEROUS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 04:25 PM
rwang2516
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twojayzee
That's good information above.

I'm familiar with suspensions and how to tune the car how I want and ill say in regard to this specific incident, the ride of the teins was absolutely not safe. Under full stiff, full soft and any setting in between, there was no way to control the bouncing and bobbing around of the car. I hit a small dip in the freeway and the car moved over an entire lane toward another passenger car. My car and tein coilovers were 100% the recommended settings that came with the coilovers.

With zero changes to the setup on the car, just dropping the BC's in; was a night and day difference. The same dips and bumps in the road, at the same speeds and no other changes, are soaked up properly.

I've made some adjustments to fine tune the car to handle the way I want. But overall its phenomenal.

I'm glad I've been able to help at least 7 people that I know of from purchasing something they would have found out was a poorly made design and was represented poorly by the US counterpart on behalf of their Japanese parent company.They would be ashamed. Not responding to the BBB, pathetic.
I think If you were to dial in just the right amount of preload, the Teins would ride like the BC's based on them both having limited stroke of about 2.5 inches after subtracting for the bumpstops. The problem with Tein Street Flex is they softened the springs relative to the original Flex and they did not increase the stroke much compared to the original Flex. With a real coilover like Bilstein PSS9, KW, AST, etc you typically are working with 5-6 inches of stroke which makes a night and day difference on the street.
Old 05-17-14, 06:55 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just updating this thread - the BC's out perform the teins in every aspect. Along with the sway bars and proper camber and toe settings, on 265/35/18 Michelin pilots at all 4 corners; it's hard to believe how well the car handles for how large and heavy it is.

To rwang2516 - I changed all of the settings on the flex's not only to match the instructions that came with them 100%, but nearly every conceivable setting in between.

Even if a product is garbage, having a good support staff is key to a good company.
This long after the experience and I'm still really disappointed in both customer support and service- Tein can suck it.
Old 05-19-14, 11:57 AM
rwang2516
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I'm just updating this thread - the BC's out perform the teins in every aspect. Along with the sway bars and proper camber and toe settings, on 265/35/18 Michelin pilots at all 4 corners; it's hard to believe how well the car handles for how large and heavy it is.

To rwang2516 - I changed all of the settings on the flex's not only to match the instructions that came with them 100%, but nearly every conceivable setting in between.

Even if a product is garbage, having a good support staff is key to a good company.
This long after the experience and I'm still really disappointed in both customer support and service- Tein can suck it.
I agree. Will never buy another tein product. I am usually good about doing product research but I just wanted something quick that was in stock and jumped the gun. Never again...
Old 06-09-14, 09:49 AM
Titten
Driver

Originally Posted by An2ny
There are way too many variables to claim something like that; are they installed correctly/ springs/ settings other modifications on the car like tires/ sway bars, the list goes on…
I understand that you know what you are doing but, to them you are just another customer that thinks that knows better and can say anything… I don’t think that because one person says that they are dangerous they will believe you or take you seriously, you need to put yourself in their position,
If you really want to keep going you may need to provide some better evidence like pictures of the installation/ measurements/ videos of how it drives on the street/ maybe take it to an Autocross and take videos and have someone else drive the car and get more feedback…

I do not like TEIN because they do not perform as well as others in my” personal experience” I believe that most people in this sector just want to “slam” the car and don’t care or understand performance. If you do, yes you will be disappointed…

I think that you should raise the car as it looks too low, and play with the compression and rebound until you get a better ride also check that they are not bottoming out and adjust your sway bars if possible…

Ultimately if you don’t like them and TEIN is not willing to take them back, your best bet is just to sell them.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with pretty much all of this. An adjustable suspension part manufactured and sold by to fit that car should be expected to work with said car and whatever reasonable set of modifications the car owner has. Or the manufacturer should disclaim and state that their product only works under certain specific conditions or situations. Under a disclaimer and barring the presence of those conditions, the buyer could reasonably expect that the product will work for the intended use. When it doesn't and consumer/buyer has proof, he should be entitled to a full refund. I would sue their asses in small claims court in your jurisdiction (it's often for claims under $7500) plus court costs and reasonable expenses. Chances are they won't even appear and you might not be able to collect, but then you would get a default award that you can show your all over the internet, and get your experience out for us to see.

Now, you knowingly sell this Tein garbage, and you could easily be successfully sued in court (God forbid there were damages or injuries). Don't sell a garbage product, like Tein did.