Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Leaking calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 03:57 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking calipers

So i recently upgraded from the stock SC front caliper/rotor to LS400 parts i had a club member install them for me, took 2 more hours than we thought but we got it on. i drove home and checked my brake fluid realized that i had lost a lot on the way home did a stress test and found the leak coming from the brake line bolt on the passenger caliper. had on the wrong type of washer so replaced those and soon found out the bolt isnt threading into the caliper so it isnt tightening which clearly explains the leak. i cant get ahold of the guy who i bought the brakes from (same guy who installed them) wondering if there is a simple fix to this problem we used the SC300 bolts and i wanted to see if we switched bolts maybe that would work but the guy i bought the calipers from has the bolts. As i spent 450+ for everything im not to keen on spending a lot more to fix this problem. please help!
Old 06-01-13, 05:02 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the hole might be stripped/cross threaded.

if thats the case, youll have to repair the hole.

you would need to drill out the hole and then tap it to receive a timesert:

or other similar thread repair tool.
Old 06-03-13, 01:11 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

update: bolt was to short as to why it wasn't catching thread went to maybe 7 toyota/lexus dealerships and 5 auto shops no one has the ls400 bolt or a banjo bolt that is longer so it will have to be custom ordered, however to make some thread room i did remove one washer and it tightened right up, so far no leaks im going to keep an eye on it until i can order that part.
Old 06-04-13, 01:45 AM
Djfoho
Rookie

still leaking im going to take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis
Old 07-01-13, 01:45 AM
jbrandon
Rookie

Sorry to hear, if you have to order the banjo bolt I would like the part number since I just have bare calipers!
Old 09-07-13, 08:22 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

i Have The Same Exact Problem As The Pin On Are Brake Lines Dont Match The Calipers Hole

People For Years Were Saying Ohh Direct bolt on well its not.
Old 09-07-13, 09:11 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScWift92
i Have The Same Exact Problem As The Pin On Are Brake Lines Dont Match The Calipers Hole

People For Years Were Saying Ohh Direct bolt on well its not.
it is direct bolt on just because you guys are having problems doesnt mean it isnt i have installed these on my SCs and friends SCs some calipers had to be trimmed some didnt..none however had brake line problems check the caliper outer female hole surface to see if it is smooth if it isnt and looks like a crater the fluid will leak through..it most likely isnt the banjo fitting
Old 09-07-13, 10:44 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

It Did End Up being the line just had the car in the air. But do to the pin placement it still isn't a direct bolt on.
Old 09-07-13, 04:04 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sc4 bolt doesn't work with LS400 caliper. I had to use the LS400 lines i grabbed form the junkyard.
Old 09-09-13, 02:53 AM
Djfoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbrandon
Sorry to hear, if you have to order the banjo bolt I would like the part number since I just have bare calipers!
apparently no one make a banjo bolt longer than 27mm and with this problem 31mm would have fixed it. I ended up having to purchase a new caliper and installing. you can make a attempt to trim but make sure its even and nothing gets stuck in the hole.
Old 09-09-13, 02:55 AM
Djfoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
sc4 bolt doesn't work with LS400 caliper. I had to use the LS400 lines i grabbed form the junkyard.
i wouldn't suggest using used brake lines, time to upgrade to braided! also my sc3 line and bolt are working perfectly as soon as i bought the new caliper since my hole was stripped, on a side note i believe the sc4 brakes are slightly different than sc3 brakes
Old 09-09-13, 09:28 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

are you guys removing the calipers with the brake line attached or removing the caliper only??? sounds like you guys just got calipers without the right hardware...you get ls400 caliper ls400 mounting bolts ls400 banjo bolts...some calipers may need trimming some dont
Old 09-09-13, 04:45 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Djfoho
i wouldn't suggest using used brake lines, time to upgrade to braided! also my sc3 line and bolt are working perfectly as soon as i bought the new caliper since my hole was stripped, on a side note i believe the sc4 brakes are slightly different than sc3 brakes
and that is why i decided to sell my LS4's because i didn't want to pay for new SS Lines at the moment. I needed money for school so off the calipers went. yeah I figured that the SC3's uses the same kind of banjo bolt on the LS4's, the SC4's are a tad shorter.
Old 09-09-13, 08:23 PM
Djfoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
and that is why i decided to sell my LS4's because i didn't want to pay for new SS Lines at the moment. I needed money for school so off the calipers went. yeah I figured that the SC3's uses the same kind of banjo bolt on the LS4's, the SC4's are a tad shorter.
ah makes sense, when i tossed on my bbks i was worried at first about the brake lines but atm they seem to be holding up decently, i guess im lucky.