Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Properly setting up used JIC coilovers for GS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 05:48 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Properly setting up used JIC coilovers for GS400

I have a used set of JIC Magic flt-a2 coilovers that I acquired from a friend on these forums. I gave him my stock suspension and he gave me these coilovers. The right rear needs to be rebuilt because it's shot. They also needed to be cleaned up and springs got sanded down and resprayed.

So, i'm ready to install these but I am unsure of what the overall length should be for the fronts and rears respectively. When I was cleaning them up, I unscrewed the bottom portions as well. I think the travel gets effected depending on how high or how low I screw them up the threaded body. Not so sure about this as i'm not well versed in suspension.

It is nearly impossible to get through to JIC in California for more info on this; they never answer the phone. I could use any advice you guys can provide. Thanks!
Old 02-19-13, 05:58 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

is it worth the hassle? I've read some where that JICs were the worse to get rebuilt + few month turn around time + shipping back to japan. If one rear is gone the other 3 are probably getting close to being gone too. Might as well save the hassle, $ and get a new set of coilovers.
Old 02-19-13, 08:17 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, I would agree with you but the other three are nice and tight! Im telling you, I can barely push down on the damper on the softest setting without the spring on. Obviously, it gets stiffer too when I adjust to harder settings. I like these coils and they will drop me a good amount lower than my current Bilstein PSS coilovers.

It is $220 to rebuild the one, they rebuild in Cali and they mentioned turn around time is less than one week.

Back to my question guys. How can I ascertain what the appropriate overall coilover length should be? Lmk...thanks
Old 02-20-13, 10:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

my suggestion and a lot wont agree.....go ahead and rebuild all 4. this way you have peace of mind. what if u install them after getting back the one from rebuild and in a few months another goes out, then you have to pull them back off and send them in....

when u do get in touch with them, ask them the suggestions on length
Old 03-04-13, 09:16 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rebuild all like Brian said, then they can give them all a through evaluation.
Yes JIC America is hard to get a hold of by phone, When mine were rebuilt I was communicating via email.
I tightened my collars until they started putting pressure on the spring. Then I compared both fronts and both rears. Then install them. One installed adjust them to the height that you wish. Count the threads to keep them even. You may have to jack it up a and adjust them to likening a couple of times for the best tuck\ride height.