Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors and Brake Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 05:40 AM
chapabig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and Brake Advice

So, i was planning on getting some ls calipers and upgrade my brakes since my rotors are warped and brake pads where really bad, but, since the rotors and pads cannot take anymore abuse at all (car shakes insane when i brake, even when i drive, i mean they are bad) Im gonna have to get new rotor and pads and just get the upgrade later, i was thinking of getting an Ebay special since i have used them before on a previous Nissan and they do their purpose.

here is my question

1) im leaning on getting the gold Zinc plated in cross drilled only and pads (just because of my ricer side)

2) or should i go blanks

3) or slotted only

4) please dont suggest drilled and slotted

5) any other suggestions?
Old 01-23-13, 08:23 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the slotted ones, and it is braking better than blanks. There's been a lot of reports saying the drilled and slotted cracks in hard braking. Even if you get the gold zinc plated rotor you wouldn't see the gold color in time cause it'll get covered with brake dust. I bought the black zinc plated and couldn't even tell the coating was black. But it doesn't really rust at all, which was the entire purpose of buying it.
Old 01-23-13, 09:09 AM
chapabig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I bought the slotted ones, and it is braking better than blanks. There's been a lot of reports saying the drilled and slotted cracks in hard braking. Even if you get the gold zinc plated rotor you wouldn't see the gold color in time cause it'll get covered with brake dust. I bought the black zinc plated and couldn't even tell the coating was black. But it doesn't really rust at all, which was the entire purpose of buying it.

yeah, i like the slotted look, and yeah, i know the gold wears off, the purpose of the zinc plating its to protect by the hub and the disc edges
Old 01-23-13, 09:17 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

What I'm saying is, the hub and disc edges would still get covered with brake dust in time so the gold color would still become useless.
Old 01-23-13, 09:31 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the stock LS system?

1. Brembo or equivalent blanks (or slotted or drilled if u really got a hardon for em, looks tacky IMO)
2. Hawk pads (of your choice)
3. Stainless lines
4. Highest boiling point DOT fluid you can run
5. Full servicing of system

Those 5 steps will make the most of your stock ls system.

Yeah.... the ebay specials "do their purpose" but if you were to go back to back in your brake system ebay special vs Quality you would see the difference drastically. The compound found in most ebay pads is junk for any type of performance and the rotors generally contain a very high carbon content and are overall poor quality.

Your brakes are the next most important part of the car right after tires, You really wanna cheap out on them?

Companies like Wilwood, Baer and Brembo spend countless hours on the research and development of their product, as well as the material composition. Which is why i dont trust ebay for brakes, and trust me im a cheapass when it comes to parts.

Fact is though sure they can copy the dimensions but there is more to it than that with brakes, These companies put heavy research into what compounds and rotor materials work well and give the least outgassing, shudder, brake fade etc.

I dont trust some underpaid sweat shop worker with my life.... nope

Last edited by sj408; 01-23-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 09:47 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

^^^Are you speaking off experience or based on theories and paranoia? It would really be helpful if people would speak from experience whenever they chime in before bashing what somebody just vouched for. I appreciate your input on the 'well known' brands though, they're not expensive for no reason.
Old 01-23-13, 09:56 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
^^^Are you speaking off experience or based on theories and paranoia? It would really be helpful if people would speak from experience whenever they chime in before bashing what somebody just vouched for. I appreciate your input on the 'well known' brands though, they're not expensive for no reason.
umm.... i wasnt trying to bash you

Im speaking from experience, i used to think it was just fine to buy flea-bay brands. And im not talking about finding a good deal on a name brand on ebay. Im talking about the generic china/korea crap on there.

I usedta run the autozone/flea bay special, until i really NEEDED to stop. Then i purchased a set of blanks, stainless lines, hawk pads and dot5 fluid and WOW.... the difference is night/day

and im not sure what paranoia you speak off.... but its a fact that these companies use crap compounds and materials.

Hell i sold generic import crap as a parts dealer on the west coast.... ive seen all that ebay garbage that comes into the LA docks.

Obviously the OP has a desire for performance considering the mention of drilled or slotted and gold zinc plated etc. So why wouldnt one try to steer him in the right direction?
You want some pads that "do their job" just go to autozone and buy some.

If you want some good performance brakes without having to upgrade to a BBK then do some research, Talk to your local autocross guys as they are the ones who "know brakes"

Im not saying there is no time or place for slotted or drilled rotors..... but i can almost gurantee your not seeing that time or place ever in your dd sc300/400

Last edited by sj408; 01-23-13 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 10:28 AM
sj408
Instructor

As well philip,

If i were to bash you i would point at that your contribution of " I bought the slotted ones, and it is braking better than blanks" Is utterly useless.

So you put on blanks.... tested them, then immediately switched to equal material slotteds and brand new identical pads and compared?

What fluids are being used? what compound pads? what rotors? material composition?

Its very easy for someone to say "i slapped on new pads and rotors and it brakes better" considering you likely replaced them due to worn out equipment.

If you guys wanna keep on using crap gear for your lexus by all means go ahead, but i value my life and you cant put a price on brakes because thats the only thing stopping you from death

Last edited by sj408; 01-23-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 01:38 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the awesome ebay special cross drilled brake package from 88rotors including pads and they warped in 10,000 miles. I installed blanks back on and everything has been good for 20,000 miles.

Just giving you a heads up that the reason why the rotors are so cheap is because China uses inferior metals to build them.
Old 01-23-13, 05:19 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blanks all the way. There is NO benefit to drilled on any car and slotted is minimally useful.

The china brands issue is not really a cheaper steel as much a cost cutting design flaw. The china rotors tend to be lighter. Why? The rotor wear areas are a much thinner design. They make up for it with a larger ventilation area but that does not help with heat capacity at all. A thicker rotor will always absorb more heat without deforming better than a thin rotor with holes/grooves/fancy shaped vanes in it.

That being said... my favorite rotor for motorsports AND street use is Centric blanks. It's the parent company of Stoptech, decently thick, and cheap as dirt for what you get. Can't go wrong.
Old 01-24-13, 11:07 AM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I bought the awesome ebay special cross drilled brake package from 88rotors including pads and they warped in 10,000 miles. I installed blanks back on and everything has been good for 20,000 miles.

Just giving you a heads up that the reason why the rotors are so cheap is because China uses inferior metals to build them.
+1

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Blanks all the way. There is NO benefit to drilled on any car and slotted is minimally useful.

The china brands issue is not really a cheaper steel as much a cost cutting design flaw. The china rotors tend to be lighter. Why? The rotor wear areas are a much thinner design. They make up for it with a larger ventilation area but that does not help with heat capacity at all. A thicker rotor will always absorb more heat without deforming better than a thin rotor with holes/grooves/fancy shaped vanes in it.

That being said... my favorite rotor for motorsports AND street use is Centric blanks. It's the parent company of Stoptech, decently thick, and cheap as dirt for what you get. Can't go wrong.
+1 from what ive seen most of the Centric stuff is pretty good quality and very well priced.

One thing i also noticed about chinese rotors is they always look very "ashy" and a coworker at the time chimed in and said he believes its due to a high carbon content in the material.
Not sure how this affects structural integrity but figured id throw it out there.

Good to see some educated responses making it to this thread, i happen to have a good bit of info regarding boiling temps of various popular brake fluids and such if anyones interested pm me. Or if anyone would like i could make an end all to the brake questions thread we can hopefully sticky to limit generic questions.

Also Intimazy, looking to expand my knowledge a bit. Why do you feel that there is no place for slotteds or drilled? Ive always felt there is a time and place for them and thats on a track car going ***** out every use. I imagine when brakes get REALLY hot (not daily driver/ street racer hot) like open track on a 600 hp car hot, that must be what they were invented for.

I just dont see all these companies making them if there is ZERO place for them, though i dont imagine any of us will ever get out brakes that hot

Last edited by sj408; 01-24-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 08:50 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, you aren't kidding about those Centric rotors. They're only $45 each on Amazon and they're definitely mentioned all over the Stoptech website. Thanks for the awesome referral sj408!