Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BEWARE of Tein drop coils

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 01:25 AM
drifting
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE of Tein drop coils

Hello friends, I've recently installed new (green)Tein suspension coils with new strut all the way around my 2000 gs300. It's a 2" front and 1.5" rear drop. I've read a lot on what type of coils to go with and finally decided on Tein because of the good response on this site and others. Well, it was the worst decision I've made!! They bind like a b!*ch!! . I hear them on every dip or bump on the road. Make sure you buy a set of coils that aren't coiled so close together. The coils need to be further apart from each other or I've got a bad batch. It's a pain in the rear removing and installing. Oh and just in case one of you say "its something other than my coils", I've replaced everything underneath and I have pictures of the coils mounted. They look like when you heat them and one doesn't sit right. I'm very disappointed .. just the time to remove them and to re-align the wheels. Anyways. They are crap!! Hope this helps someone
Old 11-26-12, 02:29 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a similar experience with Tein. Thought they were expensive and have hear of the name before so I gave it a try.I thought wrong! Ended up taking the loss and getting BC coils which are amazing!
Old 11-26-12, 09:23 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

which model did you get?
Old 11-26-12, 01:46 PM
allen23
Driver School Candidate

Yes I agree. Steer clear of TEIN. I have TEIN coilovers on both my Acura TL and my GS430. Recently had one of the seals break on one of my TEIN CS coils in the rear (on my GS), causing oil to leak all over the control arm. Not only is TEIN customer service non-existant, apparently you have to purchase replacement sets (min. 2) not singles. WTF! I just need one. TEIN told me the other option would be to send my failed coil to Japan to have rebuilt (turnaround time 3+ weeks).
Old 11-26-12, 06:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drifting
Hello friends, I've recently installed new (green)Tein suspension coils with new strut all the way around my 2000 gs300. It's a 2" front and 1.5" rear drop. I've read a lot on what type of coils to go with and finally decided on Tein because of the good response on this site and others. Well, it was the worst decision I've made!! They bind like a b!*ch!! . I hear them on every dip or bump on the road. Make sure you buy a set of coils that aren't coiled so close together. The coils need to be further apart from each other or I've got a bad batch. It's a pain in the rear removing and installing. Oh and just in case one of you say "its something other than my coils", I've replaced everything underneath and I have pictures of the coils mounted. They look like when you heat them and one doesn't sit right. I'm very disappointed .. just the time to remove them and to re-align the wheels. Anyways. They are crap!! Hope this helps someone
Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
I had a similar experience with Tein. Thought they were expensive and have hear of the name before so I gave it a try.I thought wrong! Ended up taking the loss and getting BC coils which are amazing!
Maybe you both bought the counterfeits?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-warning.html

Originally Posted by allen23
Yes I agree. Steer clear of TEIN. I have TEIN coilovers on both my Acura TL and my GS430. Recently had one of the seals break on one of my TEIN CS coils in the rear (on my GS), causing oil to leak all over the control arm. Not only is TEIN customer service non-existant, apparently you have to purchase replacement sets (min. 2) not singles. WTF! I just need one. TEIN told me the other option would be to send my failed coil to Japan to have rebuilt (turnaround time 3+ weeks).
I had the same issue with my Tein CS too...I vowed to myself never to buy Tein again.