Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Had to adjust headlights after new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 10:23 PM
JustGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to adjust headlights after new shocks?

I just got new Bilstein shocks (all 4) for my GS400 and on the way home everyone was flashing their high beams at me. So once I got home I checked the headlight levels and sure enough the headlights where way to high. My og shock where in bad shape but I didn't think shocks had anything to do with ride height, I thought ride height was controlled by the springs. (I do have HID headlights) Has anyone else had to adjust the headlights after new shocks? I only got the shocks this time since about 6 months ago I got the lowered springs and just ran the og shocks. When I got the lowered springs I didn't have to adjust the headlights.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-03-02, 10:46 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

May be they installed the Auto Leveling Sensor at the left rear lower control arm in the wrong position. There's a little slot for the sensor to be mount at the lower control arm. If it mounted incorrectly, the HID ECU will thinks your car is down hill and try to adjust the headlights in up position. Also make sure the adjusting bubble in the headlights is level. But, since this happened after the shocks were installed, I'll check the sensor first.
Old 12-04-02, 03:15 PM
JustGS
Driver School Candidate

I checked the auto leveling sensor mounts in front and back and they were put back on correctly. I have the factory repair manuals so I check that to make sure. The bubble in the headlight levels was way to high. It was really easy to adjust them to the correct position, I was just a little surprised that the shocks changed the ride height. My old shock didn't even pop back out when you pushed them in so they where pretty bad.
Old 12-27-02, 06:28 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Arrow LISTEN TO THIS

I RAN INTO SOME PROBLEMS ADJUSTING THE BUBBLE. I WOULD CENTER IT, GO FOR A DRIVE AND IT WOULD BE AIMED HIGH AGAIN, MAYBE THE NUT LOOSENED WHILE DRIVING? HAS ANY ONE ONE HAD THAT PROBLEM. THE BIG PROBLEM I HAD WAS ONE HEADLIGHT WOULDNT ADJUST, AFTER I TURNED THE NUT FOR A WHILE IN ONE DIRECTION I HEARD A POP AND THE HEADLIGHT CHANGED FROM POINTING ALL THE WAY UP, TO ALL THE WAY DOWN. I STILL CAN't ADJUST IT. IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME, DOES THIS MEAN I NEED A NEW HEADLIGHT? DRIVER SIDE AIMS PEFECT, RIGHT SIDE POINTS ALL THE WAY DOWN.THANX!!!

Last edited by elclassico; 12-27-02 at 06:34 AM.