Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 Brake and rotors replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 03:21 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Brake and rotors replacement

Ok guys.. yes I have did a search but not much up to date..

Wanted to find out what you guys been using when you replace your brakes and rotors and which site..

I have found partsgeek.com , OEM sewelparts.com , rockauto.com and even tirerack.com

and then my question is.. I would like to have slotted or drilled rotors for better braking..

Centric?
stoptech?
EBC?
Powerstop?

Any experience and tips on which is better and would last a longer time.

Most of my driving is daily driving so no major racing/heavy driving. rolling on 20" wheels, not drop.
Goal: better braking, and less dust.
Toyota/lexus adviser told me any aftermarket brake pads will be more brakes dust.. so not sure what to believe.

And for brake pads..

stoptech?
Hawks?
OEM performance?
Centric ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tdrag97; 08-27-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 04:40 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you want truly "better braking", then you'd need to upgrade to a bigger BBK...like a Brembo 6pot at a minimum.

But, if you want better a good looking rotor that will work well on a track day...look at a PowerSlot slotted-only rotor. As far as pads go, get the OEM low-dust pads. Won't work so great on a track day, but if you want low-dust you have to compromise.
Old 08-27-12, 04:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrag97

Wanted to find out what you guys been using when you replace your brakes and rotors and which site..

I have found partsgeek.com , OEM sewelparts.com , rockauto.com and even tirerack.com

and then my question is.. I would like to have slotted or drilled rotors for better braking..
Neither of those things give you "better" braking in the type of driving you describe below-

Most of my driving is daily driving so no major racing/heavy driving. rolling on 20" wheels, not drop.

If you want to stop shorter nothing you do to your brakes will accomplish that.... the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

If you wanna stop shorter, get better tires, not better brakes.

In street use slots do nothing but eat your pads 25% faster to no benefit.

Drilled holes are even worse, as they also eat the pads 25% faster to no benefit but also make the rotor prone to cracking.

Blank rotors are the best for street use- they last the longest, and are easiest on your pads.

OEM or centric blank rotors, and OEM low-dust pads (which produce very very very little dust) will stop the car in exactly the same distance as the highest end $10,000 big brake kit will, tires being equal.

I strongly recommend you read this article-
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

It explains in detail what each element of a cars braking system does, and more importantly, does not do for you.

(disclaimer- all of the above is based on the idea that even the OEM brakes can easily engage ABS in a stop... which they can normally. I suppose if you have some kinda hugely hugely heavy 20s on there that might no longer be the case, and you'd be the rare individual who'd see any benefit to larger brakes... but probably not... and slots and drilled holes still wouldn't make any difference but eating pads faster)
Old 08-28-12, 11:46 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kurtz

OEM or centric blank rotors, and OEM low-dust pads (which produce very very very little dust) will stop the car in exactly the same distance as the highest end $10,000 big brake kit will, tires being equal.
Thx Kurtz... I do rememeber some stories of drilled rotor cracking... loook like I'll be sticking with Centric rotors and OEM pads..
Old 08-30-12, 05:04 PM
MastroIS
Driver School Candidate

For increased cooling, go with a BBK. But even that's overkill for a daily driver IMO. I'm running some slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com with Motul fluid and stainless steel lines. Works great for daily and has increased cooling for back roads.
Old 09-16-12, 06:16 PM
RaceTech4
Driver School Candidate

Centric?
stoptech?
EBC?
Powerstop?

Any experience and tips on which is better and would last a longer time.

Toyota/lexus adviser told me any aftermarket brake pads will be more brakes dust.. so not sure what to believe.

And for brake pads..

stoptech?
Hawks?
OEM performance?
Centric ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Your goals contradict with reality. Brakes dont stop a car, tires do. Better tires equates to better braking performance as long as the pads and rotors are working at the correct temps for the grip the tires have. Slotted and drilled do nothing. Drilled works better for wet weather climates both clean debris from the pad and also increase pad wear. A low dust performance pad is impossible. However their are performance pads with a decent mu that will not dust as much as others. Hawk and Pagid are the bests really. Akebono is a great OEM aftermarket pad. As others have said get some s.s. lines and change the fluid to high temp fluid along with your new rotors and pads.

I do actually have some pads and rotors laying around from past builds. Carbotech and OEM as well as some from weaver I believe. I dont need any as I just installed Akebono front and rear on my car along with AP racing fluids and s.s. lines.