Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Low Dust Pads TSB under Extended waranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 01:10 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Low Dust Pads TSB under Extended waranty?

Can I get the Low Dust Pads TSB under Extended warranty?

I'm getting sick of the excessive brake dust, and my pads are just about due for a change. So I thought might as well do the TSB now..?

My rotors might need replacing as well, so will that be a problem or what?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-12, 01:39 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like a definite answer too. When I passed the 4yr/50k warranty the dealer I went to back then wouldn't do the TSIB for me. I haven't tried asking again at the dealer I go to now, but I probably should. I'm still under the CPO warranty, but i'm doubting it will be done free now.

The amount of dusting is insane tho, I can't keep my wheels clean for more than 50 miles of driving......factor in bumper to bumper SoCal traffic and my front wheels pretty much have a custom brake dust finish all the time. If I can't get the TSIB performed under CPO warranty I will probably just replace the pads early. It doesn't look like the previous owner ever did brake pads and i've put on nearly 40k miles since I got the car......I can't wait much longer the dust is driving me crazy. Sad day when your wishing for your brake pads to need replacement
Old 05-10-12, 04:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 243 Posts

The original TSIB is applicable during the 4yr/50k period, and even then, many of us have been turned down when we brought in a car where our original pads were worn down below the wear limit.

If you've got a great relationship with your dealership and service advisor, there is a very small chance you could get them to cover it as a good-will gesture. But in all likelihood you'll have to pay for the replacement yourself.
Old 05-10-12, 05:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Can I get the Low Dust Pads TSB under Extended warranty?

I'm getting sick of the excessive brake dust, and my pads are just about due for a change. So I thought might as well do the TSB now..?

My rotors might need replacing as well, so will that be a problem or what?

Thanks.
Well--even if you could, the dealer would deny it based on normal wear and tear of your pads. You can't claim under the TSB if you couldn't claim under warranty, and the warranty does not cover items that are normal wear and tear items.

So--I think you have a problem.
Old 05-10-12, 05:37 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

i was wondering why i had to clean my front rims almost everyday,lol. i just picked up my lexus second hand, but the dealer put new pads on, and there almost worn out already, i had the car since march. i dont think its the pad i think its something else happening. im going to replace them with some high performace dust free pads and see what happens.
Old 05-10-12, 07:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, last I checked the low dust IS350 pads were $40 from Sewell, so it's not like it's an onerous fee if you have to pay for em out of pocket.
Old 05-10-12, 10:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
i was wondering why i had to clean my front rims almost everyday,lol. i just picked up my lexus second hand, but the dealer put new pads on, and there almost worn out already, i had the car since march. i dont think its the pad i think its something else happening. im going to replace them with some high performace dust free pads and see what happens.
It's absolutely the pads. When your dealer replaced your pads in March, I'm sure they simply replaced them with another set of the stock factory ones. Remember that the TSIB pads did not supersede the ones that came with your car, they are a low-dust option available upon request. As I (and dozens of other members here) can confirm, the TSIB pads very effectively solve the brake dust issue.
Old 05-10-12, 12:08 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's absolutely the pads. When your dealer replaced your pads in March, I'm sure they simply replaced them with another set of the stock factory ones. Remember that the TSIB pads did not supersede the ones that came with your car, they are a low-dust option available upon request. As I (and dozens of other members here) can confirm, the TSIB pads very effectively solve the brake dust issue.
thanks, i was already going to put cross drill/slotted brembos and some high performance pads on. but when i picked up the car they put brand new rotors, pads and tires on already. i havent driven the car hard and was shocked when i was putting on my new rims that the shop said they were low already. i have a 3 in chrome lip and it looks horrible after driving for a little while.
Old 05-10-12, 08:11 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Well I guess I'll just get the pads from Sewell and do it myself. I feel like i have to clean my car every day to keep it clean, after the pads hopefully its weekly.
Old 05-10-12, 08:16 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as the brake pads are more than 5mm, they can be replaced under TSB. If less, than they will not because they can say you are trying to get new pads.
Old 05-10-12, 08:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Well I guess I'll just get the pads from Sewell and do it myself. I feel like i have to clean my car every day to keep it clean, after the pads hopefully its weekly.
Unless you're super **** it'll be more like monthly at most.

The difference in astounding.

Like after a month on the low dust pads there's a lot less dust on the wheels than a day on the old ones.
Old 05-10-12, 11:06 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Unless you're super **** it'll be more like monthly at most.

The difference in astounding.

Like after a month on the low dust pads there's a lot less dust on the wheels than a day on the old ones.
LOL i'd classify myself as ****. Whenever I get loaner cars I clean them too.

And now that I think of it, I had a CT200H Loaner once, and I took it on a road trip. Drove 2000 miles and got the amount of brake dust that my IS gives in 2 days..
Old 05-11-12, 12:13 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Stop by your local autoshop (even walmart or target) and pick up a can of this http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33. I don't like armor all products, but this is the ONLY armor all product I've ever used and it works. I have very dusty pads in the front from previous owner and I'm waiting to wear them out to change them to low dust pads
Old 05-11-12, 12:20 AM
kingz415
Rookie

^thanks for that. ill definitely hit up target to get one of those and see how good it works.
Old 05-11-12, 12:57 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by tedward88
Stop by your local autoshop (even walmart or target) and pick up a can of this http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33. I don't like armor all products, but this is the ONLY armor all product I've ever used and it works. I have very dusty pads in the front from previous owner and I'm waiting to wear them out to change them to low dust pads
I've used that before, and it works, really well! But wears off as soon as you wash your car next and only 2 uses per bottle. It can get pretty expensive so I've stopped (Because of gas prices -__-).