Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinions on F-Sport Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 12:47 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front sway bar for the IS350 is vastly underrated on these forums, in my opinion.

You should get both, and I'll tell you why.

Most people who get the F-sport sway bar(s) for their IS350 fall into one of two categories - they either get the F-sport rear bar only, or they get both the front and rear installed at once.

Few people have first installed the F-sport rear sway alone and then added the front later. Of these people, most of them agree that adding the front sway bar appears to bring more balance to the vehicle compared to having the rear bar alone.

For example, CleverName posted the following -

"Well I gotta toss my 2 cents in here just because.
Ordered my front/Rear set some time ago from my LOCAL Lexus dealership (who, but the way, price matched certain online vendors when I asked them to..... (Lets hear it for supporting your LOCAL community!))

The rear went on the day I got them, and I ran it like that for over a week. From the luxury package, installing the rear was an instant hit. What bothered me was that with only the rears, I triggered the traction control constantly. This means something was not right, and it annoyed me. Aggressive cornering still buried the outside front (stock) suspension, causing the tighter rear to "lift its leg" and trigger the light.
Felt very unsettling to me to feel the nose dip but the *** lift in a corner.
Anyhow, put the front on, and it definitely made a difference. The awkward pitch is gone, the traction control light has gone away (well, almost), and the car simply "feels" better balanced and less unsettling.

Having experienced just the rear, and then both, I cant imagine running the car with a rear bar only...It would drive me nuts....
"
If you look through the "Official F-sport sway bar thread," you'll see similar sentiments among the others who initially had only the F-sport rear sway bar installed on their IS350s and later added the front sway bar as well.

People who have only installed the F-sport rear sway bar and nothing else are in no position to compare an IS350 with the F-sport rear sway equipped only versus an IS350 with both front and rear sway bars equipped. If you look at the rationale behind installing the rear only, it has to do with saving money and merely hypothesizing that the F-sport front sway bar @ 6% more stiffness "can't possibly make that much of a difference."

That's fine. That's a reasonable hypothesis and saving money is all well and good, but we have actual people who have carried out the experiment, in a sense, and virtually 100% of them agreed that the addition of the front sway bar was desirable.

I've posted CleverName's opinion above, but there are others.
Old 03-28-12, 02:50 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ydnandy
Does the install of the rear on the 350 require the car be jacked up with weight off the rear wheels, or will those ramp things work to get under the car?

thanks
Pretty sure ramps would work. Just be careful!
Old 03-28-12, 08:17 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 385Camaro
Hey Fuzzie, Why only the rear for the 350?
well, i dont own a 350, but people say the front wont be that much of an upgrade and isnt really worth it. it does have an improvement, but not that much of a difference compared to the rear.
Old 03-29-12, 06:51 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get em both. If for no other reason, gotta love seeing that f-sport blue!

But really, I'm glad I have both. I didn't do the one, then other comparison but I'm sure they were designed to be installed as a set.
Old 03-29-12, 10:50 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had only rear sway for a year and then just put the front a few days back. I do feel the difference, but very minimum to really tell what's the difference.