Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will Big Brakes increase performance? Will it affect ABS? Etc., etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 04:27 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the braking performance increase, will it affect how ABS work?
Old 10-25-02, 08:49 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Neo

Originally posted by Neo

I would say No. This is a common misconception. Upgrading to a 6 piston caliper and a bigger rotor will not dramatically decrese a single stoppping distance, but will improve the "feel" and decrease the heat produced by excessive braking. Hence, you should expect your stopping distance, after 20 hard stops, to be just as good as after a single stop. In short the kits are mostly responsible for eliminating "fade." Also, a lot of ABS systems are in a sense simliar (regardless of the labels and acronyms used to describe them). They sample the conditions and apply proper "grips." This is also part of the reason why you don't see much difference in stopping distances. Now, if you are a pro and drive with your abs off because you know how to control your car more efficiently than the system, then you might just significantly decrease the stopping distance. However, I think most of us leave abs on. Not to mention our abs system is one of the best. Just as Porsche 911, it uses 4 channels to keep our car in place.
Old 10-25-02, 08:49 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I would say No. This is a common misconception. Upgrading to a 6 piston caliper and a bigger rotor will not dramatically decrese a single stoppping distance, but will improve the "feel" and decrease the heat produced by excessive braking. Hence, you should expect your stopping distance, after 20 hard stops, to be just as good as after a single stop. In short the kits are mostly responsible for eliminating "fade." Also, a lot of ABS systems are in a sense simliar (regardless of the labels and acronyms used to describe them). They sample the conditions and apply proper "grips." This is also part of the reason why you don't see much difference in stopping distances. Now, if you are a pro and drive with your abs off because you know how to control your car more efficiently than the system, then you might just significantly decrease the stopping distance. However, I think most of us leave abs on. Not to mention our abs system is one of the best. Just as Porsche 911, it uses 4 channels to keep our car in place.

Edited for: Just went back and saw that I misunderstood your question. Lol. Oh well. All this typing for nothing. NO, they should not affect the way abs works.

Last edited by Mariusz; 10-25-02 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 11:38 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
As long as your overall circumference of your tire/wheel combination is the same as stock (or the same at all four corners), it should not affect ABS.

Four-wheel ABS system senses the locking-up of wheels. If one wheel is rotating slower than the rest of the other wheels, it means that, this particular corner is losing traction and locking up. So the ABS system will take over and pulsate the brake caliper at that wheel and let the other wheels brake normally. Overall, it makes sure that all your wheels are rotating at the same rate so that you don't skid.

ABS has very little to do with actual size and power of brakes, but very much to do with the overall circumference of the tire/wheel combination.
Old 10-26-02, 12:09 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by moshlub

ABS has very little to do with actual size and power of brakes, but very much to do with the overall circumference of the tire/wheel combination.
Ummm... No.

Circumference is the quick lose. But problems can arise when "smarter" software like ABS is involved and you change the variables of the brake system out from underneath it.

Read this for an explanation of how it can happen.

Also this is a good writeup by the same guy.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 10-26-02 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-26-02, 04:15 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Mr Johnson

Ummm... No.

Circumference is the quick lose. But problems can arise when "smarter" software like ABS is involved and you change the variables of the brake system out from underneath it.

Read this for an explanation of how it can happen.

Also this is a good writeup by the same guy.
I would think that as long as you don't get the universal kit for "all car models", you should be good. I read stoptech's paper and to me it looked like they were writing up a reason to pay their higher brake kit price since their kit is especially "designed for" your car. This is not saying that stoptech is wrong. On the contrary, I think they are right. However, I think all major manufacturers take into consideration the type of vehicle their kit is going on and although some companies design kits in greater detail than others, I just can't picture wilwood, brembo, ap, etc (major players) designing a kit that completely throws off the abs system.

However, I feel that I should correct myself. If you are questioning whether the wilwood kit we're talking about will screw up your braking system....then I would say NO (personal opinion). If you are asking if there exists a kit that can mess up your abs system, then I would have to say YES.
Old 10-26-02, 09:14 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Mariusz

I read stoptech's paper and to me it looked like they were writing up a reason to pay their higher brake kit price since their kit is especially "designed for" your car.
Sure that's part of it but realize that Stoptech is actually on the cheaper end of big brake player spectrum.

However, I feel that I should correct myself. If you are questioning whether the wilwood kit we're talking about will screw up your braking system....then I would say NO (personal opinion). If you are asking if there exists a kit that can mess up your abs system, then I would have to say YES.
I agree and that's all I was trying to point out. I've heard the statement that I responded to in the past and its usually said with such conviction that people then begin to believe it's true. I just wanted to point out that there can be many factors at play not just the obvious ones.
Old 10-26-02, 12:32 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all those equations, wouldn't simply decreasing the pad "bite" to a more mild pad bring the brake balance back into check and make the ABS function more like stock?

When I upgraded to Supra TT front system, the front TT pads were so sticky, I'm sure it had to throw off the front/rear balance. Switching to more tame EBC green pads in the front eliminated the dust, increased the pedal pressure back to stock for a given stopping distance and retained the monster gains in thermal dissipation of the large rotor. I think it helped the braking all around although it reduced the initial bite quite a bit.

In reading the article, it seems like switching to a more tame pad would give the same type of benefit as decreasing the piston displacement as stoptech had prescribed.

My idea is to get the big brakes, just switch to a pad that has less friction to compensate for the larger rotor's extra torque.
Old 10-26-02, 02:26 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of good info. Please don't stop on account of this post. Thanks guys.

This is for all the guys who have commited to the GP. How many of you are running 18s and above but came from a 16 stock wheel? If you are responding, please PM me the response since I do not want to hijack this thread for this question. I posted here since the people who are involved in this GP would be paying attention to this thread. Thanks.
Old 10-26-02, 07:40 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the subject comes up naturally with this sort of product but so I have started another thread for you guys so that can discuss the pros and cons of brake upgrade kits...