Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Let's talk about camber/toe adjustment on a IS300.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 05:27 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk about camber/toe adjustment on an IS300.

Hello, all.

In the future, I plan on getting a set of coilovers. Megans, because they are relatively cheap, and haven't failed me in the past. I don't want this to turn into a quality thread...please...save me.

Front camber: On my previous 240sx's, the front camber was adjusted via camber plates.

Rear camber: Aftermarket adjustable rear upper control arms.

Rear toe: Aftermarket adjustable toe arms.

I have found that all coilovers offered for IS300's do not have the camber plates. Looking at the design of the front suspension, I can see why. Now, what is the best way to go about adjusting front camber? I have ran across options from adjustable upper ball joints to adjustable upper control arms.

I honestly haven't searched, but I'm going to assume that the rear is the same it is on S-Chassis cars with the adjustable aftermarket arms being the only solution.

My car is a daily, and I can not stand eating tires up. I'm a fan of perfect alignments, and the only way I'm going to do this, is if I do it "right" for a daily-street application.

Thanks

Allen

Last edited by Iam99x; 09-05-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 02:49 PM
Iam99x
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, everyone.
Old 09-21-11, 10:12 PM
InitialJ
Rookie

You can buy some mega arms and toe links from figs.
Old 11-02-11, 07:40 PM
cashed350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Megan makes adjustable toe rods and traction arms for the rear. There is a good amount of adjustment on the car already if you don't go too low. But if your like me and really low the rear toe turns positive and that eats tires and makes the car unstable at highway speeds. Once I installed my adjustable arms, car drives great once again.
Old 11-03-11, 09:30 PM
Stopitnow
Rookie

I have spc balljoints, rear camber bolts, megan toe arms, im down 2 inches and running factory camber , caster and toe
Old 11-18-11, 08:57 AM
Jerm23
Driver School Candidate

The front and rear both have eccentric bolts for camber. If your slammed and want to get back to stock alignment specs you'll need Cusco/Mega/or Figs front upper control arms (Figs' aren't out yet) and for the rear you'll need Figs Mega arms with toe links.
Old 12-05-11, 07:30 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

you might double check that about top plates.... Megan may have adjustable tops in their LP series. I think there is another brand out there too that has them,,,,, cant remember the name of them off the top of my head but will look around for it.

If Megan LP do not, then I would just get the EZ street and get the matching Megan arms
there are also camber kits from tirerack.com
Old 12-05-11, 07:32 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

I am running the Megan ez street pretty low. running 225/45/17 tires and in the front have very little gap, about .5" in rear and have not had to use any adjusting helpers.
Old 02-12-12, 04:52 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopitnow
I have spc balljoints, rear camber bolts, megan toe arms, im down 2 inches and running factory camber , caster and toe
What tool did you use to remove the factory toe link? I can't find a pitman arm puller small enough.
Old 02-14-12, 05:25 PM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger4life
What tool did you use to remove the factory toe link? I can't find a pitman arm puller small enough.
I used a tie rod puller made by OEM tools (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=231207_0_0_). I didn't use it on the toe links, but I did use it on the tie rods and front lower ball joints.

Name:  DIYBalljointandNo1LCA_4.jpg
Views: 8045
Size:  69.1 KB
Old 03-28-12, 04:34 PM
tonynca
Driver

Originally Posted by MyLittleIS
you might double check that about top plates.... Megan may have adjustable tops in their LP series. I think there is another brand out there too that has them,,,,, cant remember the name of them off the top of my head but will look around for it.

If Megan LP do not, then I would just get the EZ street and get the matching Megan arms
there are also camber kits from tirerack.com
Top camber plates will do NOTHING for our double wishbone suspension setup. The camber for the front must be adjusted using megan a-arms if the car is too low and you run out of adjustments with the stock eccentric bolts.

Top notch quality: Figs
Mediocre: Megan

As with all things, Figs = $$$ = quality. Not once have I read a post where people were complaining about the quality of Figs product. There is only one incident where the end links were rubbing against the suspensions because people were using aftermarket sway bars.

Last edited by tonynca; 03-28-12 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-31-12, 08:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rvalero
I used a tie rod puller made by OEM tools (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=231207_0_0_). I didn't use it on the toe links, but I did use it on the tie rods and front lower ball joints.

You don't have to have a pitman puller - just hit the joint with a hammer... not the threaded part, the part that goes around that... pops right out every time (you hit it hard enough)...
Old 06-07-12, 11:05 AM
Rndm187
Rookie

^^^^^very true just hit it with a good 48oz hammer
Old 11-13-12, 09:18 PM
EyeEs
Driver School Candidate

Just to be clear. Whether dropping with springs or coil overs you can get factory alignment specs without any aftermarket parts unless you drop more than 2" in which case you'll need adjustable arms etc...??

Thanks