Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP solve Please..Problem w. brake booster after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 07:52 PM
sic_boy01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP solve Please..Problem w. brake booster after replacement

Year-2001
Model-IS300
Miles-170K
Engine: Stock, no mods to engine

Problem history: Started up the car in the morning to go to work an out of no where the brake pedal was very hard to push. I then noticed hissing noise from the brake booster on the inside of the cabin (inside of firewall). I Checked both vacuum hoses from the brake booster (the hose from manifold and the one that connects to the union). Hose was a little brittle but seemed to hold pressure. Apperently these hoses are special order so I have to wait for a new set but, this doesn't seem to be the source of the leak. I can't feel any pressure escaping from either hoses. Could a minut hole cause this hissing noise on the inside of the cabin?? I also checked all the vacuum lines I could find and they all seem fine.

Since there was a hissing noise from the brake booster I assumed it was shot and chose to go ahead and replace it. Also since brake boosters rarely fail I chose to get one from a salvage yard ($65) instead of paying $340 bucks for a new one.

...So after replacing the brake booster, my brake pedal feels better but when I push the brake all the way down it does still feel a little hard. I also still hear the hissing noise from the same location. When someone pushes the brake I can't hear the noise at all from the engine bay. One thing I do notice is a slight hiss coming from the power steering resivoir though. Are these two connected by the same vacuum system somehow?? As of now I don't have any problems with the power steering (feels normal).

I don't know what else to do here. I don't want to pay to take it to a shop yet if I can just fix it myself. I've done lots of research and can't find a solution, this doesn't seem to be a problem with the IS but I wanted to see if anyone has ran into this problem before. Would you guys/girls please help me out here? Since it is my braking system I don't want to wait and ***** around too long so if you could please respond soon I would appreciate it a ton! Problem is driving me bonkers,,,Thanks man!
Old 11-25-11, 12:40 PM
sic_boy01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: First brakebooster was faulty. Replaced it a second time and it works like new now. More good news is I can change these things out in about 5-10 min now.hahaha