Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS300 brake squeaks while shifting transmission from P/N

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 10:13 PM
drsoybeans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS300 brake squeaks while shifting transmission from P/N

Hi Guys.

This is my first post. I own a 2005 Lexus IS300 (automatic/e-shift transmission). I recently change my rotors (Centric) and brade pads (Hawks) about four months ago. I have followed the DIY and tutorials on changing the rotors and brake pads. However, there is a problem that I can not seen to diagnose. Every time, I shift from park or neutral into drive or reverse, I hear a moderate to loud squeak coming from my brakes. All of the brakes are making this squeak. When selecting the transmission from P or N to reverse, I feel the car push up in the back while the brakes are holding in place. During this moment, the loud metal squeak comes (but only lasts briefly). When the transmission is put in drive, the noise is not heard until I release the brakes slightly. In addition, when I let go of the brakes slightly, I hear a clunk noise coming from the brakes. This clunk noise is similar to going down a hill and having your brakes on and letting them off slightly.

There are no squeaks from the brakes when I am driving or turning. It is only when I shift the transmission that I hear this noise from the brakes. I do not think my transmission has any problems.

Has anyone run into this similar problem? If so, what was the problem? This problem has been driving me crazy and I don't want to waste these new brakes and rotors that I just put in.
Old 12-02-11, 12:35 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Question Same here

i have an 01 though Auto 130k yea i know exactly what your talking about mine does it too....maybe motor mounts....
Old 12-05-11, 07:27 AM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

lol, what material did you use for the pads? organics, semi metalics or ceramics?

did you compress the caliper piston properly? did you bleed the brakes afterwards and is your master cylinder full?

when you put an auto car in reverse it will raise slightly because the torque is being halted by the brakes. about a half inch is normal.

The clunk sound from the brakes when you release could be the pistons getting unstuck.... hense why I asked if you compressed them properly.

No LucciLou it is not the motor mounts. go back and make sure you bolted everything tight too. lots of times if you left something loose you will hear it banging around. Re-torque everything,
Old 12-09-11, 02:10 PM
LucciLou
Driver

Post B4

before i even changed my rotors and brake pads it was jerking from P/N...? if not the motor mounts is it maybe because the engine is cold i notice it doing it alot more or worse when its a cold start going from P/N....? i got ceramic pads btw
Old 12-11-11, 02:38 PM
MyLittleIS
Rookie

yes, that effects it too, your motor idels higher when cold, also, the fluid if drained from the t.c. and tranny valves.
Old 12-15-11, 06:42 PM
drsoybeans
Driver School Candidate

Update: I have replaced the brake anti-squeal clips (wish-bone shaped) and brake clips that hold the brake in place. While replacing these parts, I reassembled everything and torqued everything according to the specifications from the Toyota repair manuals. Unfortunately, the noise that I originally spoke of is still there. I have a feeling that it may just a incompatible match between the type of brake pads and rotor used.

As described above, when the engine is cold and the transmission is selected into reverse or drive, the car tends to lunge forwards and backwards (lifted a little as well). This is where the noise is heard the loudest. Once the engine warms up and the transmission is selected again, the noise decreases significantly. The closest description to this noise is when you are going down a hill and the brakes are applied. When you let off the brakes slightly, you hear this brake noise that I speak of.

Maybe there just is not a fix to this problem, other than resorting back to factory rotors and brake pads.
Old 12-19-11, 04:31 AM
Endika
Rookie

take a die grander with a cookie attached and scrub down the pads then apply silicone grease to the tabs of the brake pads and see if that works.
Old 12-26-11, 02:43 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

its the compound of the pads squealing.
hawk are more performance oriented pad.

also check the fluid level in the auto box.

when you are at the lights next, very very slowly let off the brakes while having a little accelerator "like stalling up the trans for drag racing" if the brakes shudder. its the brake pad compound.

if you don't like it change back to a more everyday driving compound.
Old 01-03-12, 05:28 PM
k954triniz
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i jus change my rotors and pads on my is300 ... (advanced auto special .)
can that make the traction off cluster light flash ?