Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Hard tires...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 02:48 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard tires...

Is it possible that tires can be so hard they cause a slight vibration (due to tread)?

When I bought the car, it needed an alignment. I could feel that the tires are scalloped...

I'm concerned that there might be a greater underlying issue, but I'm desperately hoping that its just the tires. I've never had a car with such sporty tires, so I am guessing they are harder than a normal cruising tire, but I want to make sure that the vibration is within normal specs.

It's nothing great at all. Just very slight at really slow speeds (like parking lot cruising) and turning at slow speeds.

My truck does this as well, but it has BFG MT's on it...which is what leads me to believe it is the tire.

Thanks for any input.

Tim
Old 09-17-02, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Tires are a big factor in vibration. Also (important) - note that tires take time to warm up and if you have 17 or bigger rims, the tires can develop 'flat spots' even just from the car sitting over night for example and it will take a few miles until they smooth out.

Before shelling out for new tires, try getting a good Hunter balance and alignment.
Old 09-17-02, 01:08 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'm, as usual, in total agreement with Bitkahuna.

One point, Tim; "sporty" tires will be SOFTER than a normal Touring or allseason tire, not harder. Softer = stickier/grippier rubber, with shorter tread life. Harder = slicker rubber also usually less wet weather traction but longer tread life.

Finally, if the alignment was bad enough, long enough, the scalloping of the tires can lead to vibration.

Good luck! And welcome!
Old 09-17-02, 01:59 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
I'm, as usual, in total agreement with Bitkahuna.

One point, Tim; "sporty" tires will be SOFTER than a normal Touring or allseason tire, not harder. Softer = stickier/grippier rubber, with shorter tread life. Harder = slicker rubber also usually less wet weather traction but longer tread life.

Finally, if the alignment was bad enough, long enough, the scalloping of the tires can lead to vibration.

Good luck! And welcome!
LOL...sorry about that, I mispoke. By sporty I meant such a low profile

Thanks for the info, from both of you!

Tim