Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to remove stock shocks on 92 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 09:06 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to remove stock shocks on 92 sc400

How to remove stock shocks off the car? The springs were so hard... I used something like this but i still couldnt get it out

Also in the DIY thread on how to install coilovers.... the "have some1 step on rotor and pull the fender up" trick doesnt work for me!!! The shocks just keeps pressing down making it impossible to take it out... how did you guys do it?
Old 06-16-11, 11:23 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you disconnect the swaybar endlinks? That'll make it a lot easier to push down on the hub and remove the whole assembly. After you have the whole coilover out, you can take off the springs with the spring compressor.
Old 06-16-11, 05:46 PM
JSC4
Rookie

Ohh thx for dolt. I didn't do this, it didn't say to do it. I will try this. Thx again!!
Old 06-16-11, 06:30 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in doubt start removing stuff!
Old 06-16-11, 06:36 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you figure it out. Those sway bar links can be a pain, due to them rusting out.
Old 06-16-11, 07:44 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

If you don't remove the sway links, then the least you can/should do is lift both sides so the suspension is in full droop on both sides simultaneously and you're not fighting the sway bar torsion.
Old 06-16-11, 10:39 PM
parker770
Rookie

You shouldn't have to remove the swaybar end links, as others have menioned, they tend to get rusty and will strip out trying to remove them, then you have to cut them off(PITA). The less you mess with the end links, the better.

The key is to remove the upper control arm bolt. The. You can swing the UCA out of the way(still connected to the ball joint) and the shock and spring will come right out.
Old 06-18-11, 07:31 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Thx for all the replies. I been busy at work but I will try and do this today. I will let u guys know how it goes
Old 06-18-11, 05:18 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parker770
You shouldn't have to remove the swaybar end links, as others have menioned, they tend to get rusty and will strip out trying to remove them, then you have to cut them off(PITA). The less you mess with the end links, the better.

The key is to remove the upper control arm bolt. The. You can swing the UCA out of the way(still connected to the ball joint) and the shock and spring will come right out.
thats the hard way. i took my endlinks off and if they broke that just shows they need replacing cheapos!
Old 06-18-11, 08:24 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo.

Just did not even a week ago. I've got some pics I can post up tomorrow if you still haven't got it. This man speaks the truth. Once you've got the car off the ground remove the uca bolt and swing it off to the side then that's when you use your over weight friend to give it a downward shove. And done lol enjoy beers and smokes while you figure out how low ya wanna go
Old 06-19-11, 12:26 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

first off, that picture you just showed: you set the spring compressor too close, set them further apart...

also, I've found it easier to remove the strut mount plate on the LCA after you disconnect the stabilizer bar links, so that you can move the struts over and down...
Old 06-21-11, 05:13 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JSC4
How to remove stock shocks off the car? The springs were so hard... I used something like this but i still couldnt get it out

Also in the DIY thread on how to install coilovers.... the "have some1 step on rotor and pull the fender up" trick doesnt work for me!!! The shocks just keeps pressing down making it impossible to take it out... how did you guys do it?

I'm pretty sure you don't need a spring compressor. Just simply put the shock tower and your rachet over the nut in front of a tire and just keep turning it until it pops out. The stock spring is not that compressed to begin with.
Old 06-21-11, 05:22 PM
scfou
Pole Position

Wrong: The front endlinks need to be removed, not completely though.. Just remove the top nut fron the endlink, remove the long upa bolt, lca nut, slowly let your suspension drop after and it'll be easy to wiggle it out with. For the rear, remove the 2 10mm bolts (either 2 or 4 bolts each side, I forgot) from the subframe bushing and that should allow you to pry down the wheel hub if you are doing the drop yourself.

Last edited by scfou; 06-21-11 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 04:18 PM
pcolex
Driver School Candidate

I just did the rears on my 93 SC400. I removed one end of the sway bar link and that gave me enough room to push down on the hub to get them free. These links are indeed a PITA. I was lucky with the rear links. I had to replace the ones in the front. If you are pressed for time I'd make sure your parts store has them in stock, or better yet buy a pair. And also have the wherewithal to cut them off (i.e. cutoff tool).

Also someone above said you may not need a spring compressor...my springs required quite a bit of compressing. Not sure how you'd be able to do the job without compressing them...
Old 10-21-14, 10:44 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolex
I just did the rears on my 93 SC400. I removed one end of the sway bar link and that gave me enough room to push down on the hub to get them free. These links are indeed a PITA. I was lucky with the rear links. I had to replace the ones in the front. If you are pressed for time I'd make sure your parts store has them in stock, or better yet buy a pair. And also have the wherewithal to cut them off (i.e. cutoff tool).

Also someone above said you may not need a spring compressor...my springs required quite a bit of compressing. Not sure how you'd be able to do the job without compressing them...

I've done a few SC's without a compressor..not sure why everyone finds this so difficult. The rear ones are more difficult, and generally require a fat kid to stand on the hub, but thats it.

Oh and nice bump on the 3 year old thread

Quick Reply: How to remove stock shocks on 92 sc400