Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Where to buy Steering Rack bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 04:33 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
That's interesting, I definitely would have expected more vibration would be transmitted. In the past, I have even wondered if the solid bushing could, in time, cause premature failure of the steering rack, since there's no more "give" to absorb impacts and jolts so therefore the internals of the steering rack itself must absorb the blows.
I googled aluminum rack bushings and came across a few forums for mustangs and other cars. Everyone noted increased vibrations and a few people also noted the chance of damage because the "bushings" have no give to them. The stock rubber or after market poly bushings while stiff will still give to absorb impact. With solid spacers something else will have to give or possible break.
Old 04-27-11, 05:34 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You got me. But I enjoy using them... better than the stock ones anyhow.
Old 04-29-11, 08:25 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mvp still does not have r2 bushings in. I need to install some before I get an alignment. Who should I order them from? Can I trust TME?
Old 04-29-11, 08:57 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skirts
Mvp still does not have r2 bushings in. I need to install some before I get an alignment. Who should I order them from? Can I trust TME?
To the best of my knowledge and unless things have changed in the last few years (which it doesn't sound like they have), TME (Todd) is just one poor, overworked guy trying to make a living running his shop alone. He's not any kind of professional businessman by any means, but I don't think he's ever been a crook that would knowingly rip someone off. What does seem to happen it that he gets backed up, doesn't respond to emails, doesn't keep a consistent inventory, and NEVER can be reached by phone.

If he has the parts in when you place your order, you'll most likely get your parts in a reasonable time frame, but if he has to back order the parts to Daizen, then it could be weeks or months and there is NO customer service in his operation to deal with you, so you end up going into "hell's waiting room".

I'm not condoning this, just trying to answer your question. At least if you know this ahead of time, it can lessen the misery. If I needed parts from him, I would plan to allow a generous amount of time before I ever see them in my hands; and then just maybe, I might be surprised if the arrive sooner. Hope that helps answer your question.
Old 05-03-11, 01:03 PM
philllyj
Rookie

Ok, I installed my Driftmotion.com Battle Version MKIV Supra-SC300 Aluminum Rack Bushings yesterday.

I used this DIY - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html

Let me say they're much shorter than OEM one that were severely damaged.

In fact, half the height.

Nothing changes because they're locked in with the washers. The round part fits like a glove. My SC300 is riding so smooth, no vibration whatsoever! I'm loving it. Quickly shipped, I received 4 bushings, two for the rear rack as well. $46.25 total, wow! Thanks Driftmotion great product, even better price.

Last edited by philllyj; 05-03-11 at 01:04 PM. Reason: photos not shown
Old 05-04-11, 08:29 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

Ok so Im leaning toward the drift motion just because of availability. When you say you got 4 bushings is that how they are shipped? Whats the down side to these if you say there isnt any increased vibration?
Old 05-04-11, 09:21 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Driftmotion is where i bought mine
Old 05-04-11, 06:14 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

Went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered from driftmotion today.
Old 05-04-11, 08:44 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by philllyj
Ok, I installed my Driftmotion.com Battle Version MKIV Supra-SC300 Aluminum Rack Bushings yesterday.

I used this DIY - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html

Let me say they're much shorter than OEM one that were severely damaged.

In fact, half the height.

Nothing changes because they're locked in with the washers. The round part fits like a glove. My SC300 is riding so smooth, no vibration whatsoever! I'm loving it. Quickly shipped, I received 4 bushings, two for the rear rack as well. $46.25 total, wow! Thanks Driftmotion great product, even better price.
Ok, I'm a little confused by what you've said here. You mention that the bushing are much shorter (1/2 the height in fact), but that's no worry because they're locked in with washers. Then you say you received 4 bushings and that two of them are for the "rear" rack ??

I must confess that I have never had a set of these aluminum bushings, but it seems screamingly apparent that the bushings are a two piece design (just like the poly ones); they're made to have one piece enter from either side to fill the exact same space that your old blown out bushing originally filled. You should NOT be just putting one side in by itself and figuring the washer will hold it all just fine. The "extra" pair ARE for the "front" rack.

BTW, Good luck with that "rear" rack, I hear it can be a real b**** to find.
Old 05-05-11, 10:47 AM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
Ok, I'm a little confused by what you've said here. You mention that the bushing are much shorter (1/2 the height in fact), but that's no worry because they're locked in with washers. Then you say you received 4 bushings and that two of them are for the "rear" rack ??

I must confess that I have never had a set of these aluminum bushings, but it seems screamingly apparent that the bushings are a two piece design (just like the poly ones); they're made to have one piece enter from either side to fill the exact same space that your old blown out bushing originally filled. You should NOT be just putting one side in by itself and figuring the washer will hold it all just fine. The "extra" pair ARE for the "front" rack.

BTW, Good luck with that "rear" rack, I hear it can be a real b**** to find.
I was wondering the same thing but hoping that he meant the "rear" rack was just meaning under the rack. As in, half from the front and half from the bottom forming one bushing. Hopefully he isn't meaning the "rear" rack is some rack in the back of the car and only used half a spacer...
Old 05-06-11, 08:11 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just found these guys out i will be ordering some bushing for my GS300 from them i will you guy know what reliable they are..
Some guy on the GS forum bought some bushings from them and received the parts and their pricing is great.
http://stores.autowearhouse.biz/Categories.bok
Old 05-06-11, 02:39 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put in my order over the phone i talk to the owner he even called my cell phone his name is Jerry Mayer he said the bushings are in stock and they will be ship tomorrow.
So stay tune.
Old 05-07-11, 04:33 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I ordered my driftmotion bushings on the 4th and they got here today and that was with they cheapest shipping available. And I'm in Tennessee. I'll update after I install them.
Old 05-07-11, 07:04 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by skirts
I ordered my driftmotion bushings on the 4th and they got here today and that was with they cheapest shipping available. And I'm in Tennessee. I'll update after I install them.
I would love to hear a real solid comparison of before and after. Maybe drive a road you know really well right after adding the aluminum bushings and give an opinion on vibration. I think I have the ole lady sold on these because of being cheaper and from reliable driftmotion, it still comes back to adding road noise and vibration that worries me.
Old 05-07-11, 07:55 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

There is a "fun" road by my house that will be a goodplace to get my review

Quick Reply: Where to buy Steering Rack bushings