Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Power Steering Modification?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-02, 01:21 AM
Airborne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Steering Modification?

I am new to the forum and new to the car. I just took delivery of a 1998 GS400. I had the wheels swapped out for 19" with Michelin Pilot AS 245 front 275 rear. This certainly helped the feel of the car but I get a very unnerving feeling corning as the power steering masks 100% of the road and tire feedback.

I am coming from driving a 94' NSX with manual steering (had to make room for the kids). Although I am certainly NOT expecting that level of handling what can be done to safely tune, modify, or eliminate the power steering in this car?
Old 08-22-02, 01:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Welcome Jamie!

We've got both the GS and NSX in the garage below me now so I know what you're saying .

You can VASTLY improve the handling of your GS. It'll never have the same sense of balance you get from the mid-engine NSX, but it's pretty damn good.

I suggest you start with these two threads for background:

Click here for a thread about suspension mod priorities

Click here for a good thread about rating GS mods (including suspension)

You'll find most all of your initial questions answered already - try using the search feature at the top right after you get a little more comfortable with the forum.

I work in Columbus often during the week - what part of OH are you in?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-22-02 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-22-02, 01:52 AM
Airborne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK ---- L-tuned steering ECU looks like a must as well new shocks and springs, new brakes (Supra), and the nominal spark plugs.

Looking around there seem to be a number of intake modifications, any ratings available?

As far as exhaust goes, I have the APEXi World sport, every one seems to be talking about a number of other brands any thoughts or comparisons?

Dayton, Ohio
Old 08-22-02, 02:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally posted by Airborne
OK ---- L-tuned steering ECU looks like a must as well new shocks and springs, new brakes (Supra), and the nominal spark plugs.
On the brakes, make sure your 19's are high disk and have enough clearance. Mine ARE high disk and didn't quite fit w/o a small spacer. Those Supra 4 piston TT brakes are BIG. Although it doesn't feel like it (soft pedal), the GS will out-brake the NSX from the factory.

Looking around there seem to be a number of intake modifications, any ratings available?
Another quick search (try it!) for intake and dyno got this thread

and this one with dyno results.

As far as exhaust goes, I have the APEXi World sport, every one seems to be talking about a number of other brands any thoughts or comparisons?
There are a number of MP3 files posted (including one for the APEXI) giving various sound clips for exhausts. Just pick the one you want and use the search.

General opinion is any HP gains are minimal from available GS4 exhausts (no headers for the GS4 out there, or magic downpipes, etc that I know of). Pick one for looks and sound - the one you have is very nice and fairly rare. IMO keep it.

Most folks have either L-tuned, Borla or Greddy as they are easiest to obtain. There are at least a half dozen others (including Apexi, Toms, RMM, Blitz, L-sportline etc)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-22-02 at 02:13 AM.