Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball Joints Done at 94k

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 03:48 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints Done at 94k

Thx Chenzo 4 the step by step!! Alot of the clunk is now gone. Only thing, the tie rod crown nuts had never been budged...since 98 lol. I ruined both. I used both the six and twelve point 17mm sockets too. I biatched and moaned for about 5 minutes when I realized you can take of the ball joint and tie rod as one unit. Now I am going to do the struts and the caster arm bushings in the spring.......and I can get this REJECTED inspection sticker off my ride!!
Old 01-19-11, 11:28 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

make sure to torque that lower castle nut underneath the lower ball joint to 119 ft/lbs...per spec.
Old 01-19-11, 11:34 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I changed mines at that interval also. When I took out the old one it still was functional. But better safe than sorry.
Old 01-30-11, 05:48 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

well, the clunk is back, I spoke too soon.....drives like a dream though....
Old 01-31-11, 08:02 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Ball joints don't clunk, they'll make a clicking/ticking kind of sound. The clunk is something on the upper end of your suspension contacting the wheel well. Check out your shocks.
Old 02-01-11, 03:39 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by RoboRam12
Ball joints don't clunk, they'll make a clicking/ticking kind of sound. The clunk is something on the upper end of your suspension contacting the wheel well. Check out your shocks.
Thanks Ram......yeah, I think your are speakin' the truth. it failed cause of a ball joint.....but now I was moving to the upper control arms.....or sway bar. No matter what side L or R I still get the same sound... But I "will" take a look at the shocks.
Old 02-01-11, 04:23 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

do they make that sound when you turn or what? just curious, I've noticed when i come home and brake from a slow roll in my driveway to come to a stop i hear a click sound right after i press the brakes (no not the pedal clicking, something from under the front of the car..)

no squeaks or creaks when turning at all though, no other sounds, just the click after brakes are pressed at low speeds coming to a stop.
Old 02-01-11, 11:16 AM
RoboRam12
Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
do they make that sound when you turn or what? just curious, I've noticed when i come home and brake from a slow roll in my driveway to come to a stop i hear a click sound right after i press the brakes (no not the pedal clicking, something from under the front of the car..)

no squeaks or creaks when turning at all though, no other sounds, just the click after brakes are pressed at low speeds coming to a stop.
That's probably your calipers. I've started getting that noise too off and on, but I'm not sure what is causing it. It may just be that my pads are getting low.
Old 02-02-11, 08:04 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

That's probably your calipers. I've started getting that noise too off and on, but I'm not sure what is causing it. It may just be that my pads are getting low.
next brake job, try replacing the brake spring clips. This is known as brake hardware kits in parts catalogs (e.g. rockauto).