Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Loud grinding noise when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 08:39 PM
nysimonsez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud grinding noise when backing up

For the past week when I back out of the driveway I hear a loud grinding noise, which is louder than the squeal when the brakes are worn. It only happens when I ride on the brake when backing out. When I go forward and brake there's no noise. I checked all 4 brakes tonight (without taking out the tires) and the outer pads on all 4 sides looks to have sufficient pad left (I would way more than 4mm). Can it still be the brake pads? It as 32k miles on it and it had the low dust pads TSB done when it was at 10k, which I think dealer only changed the front pads. Or can it be the e-brake? I'm tempted to either order pads and change them or go to dealer and have them check it out.

On a related note, I can feel the grooves in the front rotors with my fingers. The rears are smooth even though there are visible lines. Is there a need to change the front rotors if I need to do the pads?

thanks
Old 10-24-10, 06:07 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Don't change anything till u find the problem. You probably will waste money for parts not needed. Can you tell which wheel its coming from?

Find out the wheel and take it off. Check visually for anything not normal. Could be debris stuck, dust shield rubbing. Could be the ebrake but probably not.
Old 10-25-10, 01:42 PM
nysimonsez
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like coming from the rear (I think right side), which is why I thought it may be brakes since they've never been changed before. But since the noise comes and goes I'm not sure if it's actually the brakes. I'll take off the tires and take a look.

The front have grooves in the rotors that I can feel with my fingers, should I change the rotors when I change the pads?

thanks
Old 10-25-10, 06:20 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nysimonsez
Sounds like coming from the rear (I think right side), which is why I thought it may be brakes since they've never been changed before. But since the noise comes and goes I'm not sure if it's actually the brakes. I'll take off the tires and take a look.

The front have grooves in the rotors that I can feel with my fingers, should I change the rotors when I change the pads?

thanks
Might be worth to change the rotors since could warp the pads with the grooves in the rotors. You can have them resurfaced as well but I think the rotors aren't much to just replace.